8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2012 9:59 AM by stsch

ePO connection issues

stsch

Hi all,

I recently upgraded to ePO 4.6 and now all agents have problems contacting ePO. The following message is reported in the agent log:

"Agent konnte nicht mit ePO-Server kommunzieren" (Agent cannot communicate with ePO server).

On the server I was able to find an error message in the file C:\Program Filex (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\DB\Logs\server.log that reads as follows:

20110404163155 E #84316 mod_epo  Memory info: physical memory 360/12271 mbytes, virtual memory 1831/2047 mbytes

20110404163155 E #84316 mod_epo  Server out of memory, cannot process request

20110404163156 E #83812 mod_epo  Memory info: physical memory 360/12271 mbytes, virtual memory 1831/2047 mbytes

20110404163156 E #83812 mod_epo  Server out of memory, cannot process request

20110404163157 E #84788 mod_epo  Memory info: physical memory 360/12271 mbytes, virtual memory 1823/2047 mbytes

This server has 12 GB RAM and never had any problems with ePO 4.5, which I upgraded just an hour before.

Restarting the ePO application service solves this problem for a few minutes, but not longer.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

Stefan

• 1. Re: ePO connection issues
          notime

check epo and database communication

• 2. Re: ePO connection issues
            JoeBidgood

If you monitor the memory usage on the machine, is it genuinely running out of memory? If so, which process is using it all?

Thanks -

Joe

• 3. Re: ePO connection issues
              stsch

Hi Joe,

you're right. It really was that simple.

About 10 GB of memory was used by SQL Server. But it had AWE enabled and therefore memory consumption was not displayed correctly in Task Manager.

I still don't understand why it runs out of memory although there is enough swap space.

However I'm happy that it is working now :-)

Thank you

Stefan

• 4. Re: ePO connection issues
                JoeBidgood

No problem - glad it was that easy

Regards -

Joe

• 5. Re: ePO connection issues
                  feeeds

I am not seeing what you actually did to correct the issue.  I am seeing the exact same errors in server.log  and it started after upgrading to 4.6   sql server is taking all available mem 8gb.

• 6. Re: ePO connection issues
                    stsch

Hi Feeeds,

I've limited the memory available to SQL server. You can use SQL Server Management Studio to do that.

Right click on the server in object explorer and select "server properties".

I've set the maximum server memory to 2/3 of the total physical memory.

Here is a screenshot of that configuration window:

http://www.techbubbles.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/image34.png

With 12 GB physical memory I have:

- Use AWE: Disabled

- Minimum server memory: 0 MB

- Maximum server memory: 8192 MB

Best regards

Stefan

• 7. Re: ePO connection issues

Dear all,

Unfortunately I the same Problem and can´t get it resolved. Could you please help me?

My configuration right now is the following:

Windows Server 2003

SQL Server Standard 2005

RAM: 4096 MB

/3GB Option in Boot.ini enabled

Virtual Memory: 10 GB

Min Memory: 0

Max Memory: 3072

AWE: OFF

• 8. Re: ePO connection issues
                        stsch

Hi lohr,

You could try to further reduce the max memory.

In my case the physical memory usage had to be below 95% or ePO failed to respond to agents. On server 2008 the memory usage is shown in the task manager (physical memory xx %). I can't find the percentage value on a 2003, so you have to try different settings.

If you have a lot of other services running on this server, even 3072 could be too high.

Please also note that you have to restart SQL server service after you modify the max memory setting.

Best regards

Stefan