6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2011 4:06 PM by thethinkingatheist

McAfee freezes when I run a full scan at 89% please help?

This has been happening for like a year or more. I can't run a full scan because it always ends up freezing at 89% on C:\wininet.dll I don't know what the problem is. Could it be a virus or something that's stopping McAfee? I seriously haven't had a full scan in years. When the scan stops at 89% it makes my computer extremely slow or freezes it entirely for up to an hour. The screen then turns black and I get a message saying that "security options have failed" or something like that. There's a button that says "ok" so I click that and it returns me to my desktop and I have to right-click the McAfee icon and cancel the scan. I"ve looked around the net but can't really find a solution. Some other people have had this problem as well. Yesterday I was on Google Chrome and a message popped up saying "Trojan detected, please restart your computer" and then disappeared in like one second.

Oh yeah and the scan shows a potential unwanted program, Generic PUP.z!dr. It aks if I want to quarintine it or trust it but when I click quarintine it fails to do so and tells me that my computer is a risk. Could it be a false-positive?

Message was edited by: thethinkingatheist on 4/3/11 6:48:04 PM CDT
        • 1. Re: McAfee freezes when I run a full scan at 89% please help?
          JaiPrakash

Hi,

The legitimate location of the file is: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wininet.dll and the regular size of the files will be 813 KB (832,512 bytes).

Kindly analyze the file using "Virus Total" (http://www.virustotal.com/) and update us the result.

Browse the exact location of the file as shown:

VR TOTAL.bmp

VR TOTAL 2.bmp

VR TOTAL 3.bmp

Meanwhile please update us with the below details:-

Browser Version: (IE 7 / IE 8 / IE 9 / Firefox / Google Chrome)

Version of installed McAfee Product:

(Navigation: Open McAfee product > Click Navigation on the top right > about)

• McAfee Security Center:
          • McAfee Virus Scan:
          • DAT version:
          • McAfee Personal Firewall:
          • 2. Re: McAfee freezes when I run a full scan at 89% please help?

McAfee Security Center Version: 10.5

McAfee Virus Scan Version: 14.5

McAfee Personal Firewall Version: 11.5

Browser(s): Google Chrome (up to date, main browser), Firefox 4 (final), and Internet Explorer 9 (beta)

Virus Total results:

http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/report.html?id=e947c45cb2dbefc9621dac7fc33e6 7186e8f25dc6d7357822f076236414ff28a-1301943248

Message was edited by: thethinkingatheist on 4/4/11 2:12:48 PM CDT

Message was edited by: thethinkingatheist on 4/4/11 2:13:02 PM CDT

Message was edited by: thethinkingatheist on 4/4/11 2:21:05 PM CDT
            • 3. Re: McAfee freezes when I run a full scan at 89% please help?
              JaiPrakash

Hi,

According to the report it appears like there no issue with that particular file. Apparently beta product is not compatible with McAfee so I would suggest you to degrade IE 9 Beta to IE 8.

Then you can run a full scan once after trying these steps:

Step 1: Clear all the Windows Temp Files: - (Navigation: Click Start > Run >Type Temp) and clear all temp files.

Step 2: Clear all the Local Temp Files: - (Navigation: Click Start > Run >Type %Temp%) and clear all temp files of the local user.

Step 3: Clear all the Temporary Internet Files: - (Navigation: Open Internet explorer > Tools > Internet Options > Under General tab) clear all temp internet files & cookies as shown below.

• 4. Re: McAfee freezes when I run a full scan at 89% please help?

Ok I've cleared all the Temp files and I'm running the scan now, I'll update my post with the results.

Now it's stuck at 1% on C:\...\EnterWW.cab I'm going to cancel the scan and try again.

I restarted the scan and it's working, currently at 13%. Hopefully it get's to 100%.

It didn't work, it froze at 89% again! It made my computer extremely slow and it took minutes to respond to anything I did (minimizing the browser, right-clicking McAfee, etc). I had to hold down the power button on my computer and restart it. I did everything you said to, deleted the Temp files, the Local Temp files, and dowgraded to IE8.

Message was edited by: thethinkingatheist on 4/5/11 3:05:05 PM CDT

Message was edited by: thethinkingatheist on 4/5/11 4:08:45 PM CDT

Message was edited by: thethinkingatheist on 4/5/11 8:28:01 PM CDT
                • 5. Re: McAfee freezes when I run a full scan at 89% please help?
                  JaiPrakash

Hi,

Run a scan using the following command sfc /scannow

The purpose of this scan to examine and repair corrupt operating system files “System File Checker” (SFC)
                  In doing this, the SFC tool may replace some of your files that were updated by Windows Update. The only way to check this (and to update any of the files) is by visiting
                  Windows Update and allowing it to check your system for updates and update as needed.

Step 1: Go to Start, then to Run, and type in "SFC /SCANNOW" (without the quotes - and with a space between the SFC and the /SCANNOW). The press Enter. (For VISTA, go to Start and type in the above information, then go to the top of the box and right click on SFC /SCANNOW and select "Run As Administrator")

Step 2: The program may (or it may not) ask you for your Windows XP installation CD - please insert it at the prompt. If it doesn't ask you for the CD this means that it wasn't necessary to replace any files.

Step3: In the event the system asks you for the CD, you must visit Windows Update immediately after the scan is completed (Please note that there won't be any confirmation dialog - the program will just exit without telling you anything).

Message was edited by: JaiPrakash on 4/6/11 1:30:13 AM CDT
                  • 6. Re: McAfee freezes when I run a full scan at 89% please help?

I did the SFC /SCANNOW command. It wouldn't work when I did it through the start button (using Vista) so I opened the command prompt and ran it as the administrator and it worked. It completed and it says "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." So what do I do now?