1 2 Previous Next 10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2011 12:17 AM by JaiPrakash

Could use help after a virus problem please

Hello folks. My daughter has a Dell 1525 Inspiron. Tonight she told me she had been getting worrying Security Warning messages. Seems she had a number of tracking cookies, viruses and Trojans. I renewed the McAfee subscription that had expired and ran a full scan. The scan found and removed 6 tracking cookies and 2 infected files.

I restarted the computer but found there was no icon for Internet Explorer and no way to connect to the internet.

Last week the DVD drive failed and I had a Dell technician try to sort it remotely. He set up a new account with Administrator rights. That account is still there and if I click on that one, and not my daughter's one, everything seems OK. The IE icon is there and I can connect.

I am worried that my daughter has lost all her folders, files, pictures and programs.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions to help me save th eday?

Computer runs Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and is about 15 months old.

I am at a complete loss

Thanks

• 1. Re: Could use help after a virus problem please
          JaiPrakash

Hi Adam,

Kindly log into your daughters account and right click with the mouse on the desktop and select “Arrange Icons By” and see if there is a check mark before “Show desktop icons” if not select it and see whether you are able to see the icons.

desktop icons.JPG

On your keyboard, Press and hold the Windows flag symbol on the lower left and while holding push the letter “R” and release the windows key you should see the run command, there you type www.google.com and see whether you are able to go online.

run.JPG

Also, kindly update us on the status with the following details:

Is there any security program loaded on the PC at present?

Browser Version: (IE 8 / IE 9 / Firefox / Google Chrome)

on 3/31/11 9:27:06 PM CDT
          • 2. Re: Could use help after a virus problem please

Many thanks for the swift response. Quick update. I had tried the 'Show Desktop Icons' but it was already checked. I could not access the internet but I could see that the laptop itself was connected by checking the broadband icon. As I have been trying to check things, the laptop downloaded 56 Windows updates so I let them install. After the restart most of the icons came back but then Spyware Protection flagged up LOTS of viruses.

It is scanning even as we speak and has found: W32.Blaster.worm, Trojandownloader, Backdoor.Win32.scrab among others. 10 so far.

There was also a loud SCREECHING noise and a Firewall warning said that Hidden file transfer has been detected. I have disconnected from the internet for the moment.

I have not tried your other suggestions yet as I am waiting for the scan to complete.

Suggestions or comments?

Up to 33 found so far

Message was edited by: adamreith on 31/03/11 21:59:18 CDT
            • 3. Re: Could use help after a virus problem please

Oops, forgot to say that only McAfee Internet Security is installed and the laptop is running IE8

• 4. Re: Could use help after a virus problem please
                JaiPrakash

Hi Adam,

Let me know what scan is running? Is that from McAfee? else let me know the name?

You can also try booting the computer in “Safe mode with Networking” by following the below steps. Restart the computer and keep tapping the F8 key on the top row of your key board until you the see the windows advanced boot menu.

safe boot.JPG

Then select the option “Safe mode with Networking” and check whether you are able to go online by logging into your daughters account by holding the Windows flag symbol on the lower left push the letter “R” and release the windows key you should see the run command, there you type www.google.com and see whether you are able to go online.

Message was edited by: JaiPrakash on 3/31/11 10:19:30 PM CDT
                • 5. Re: Could use help after a virus problem please

I thought the scan that was running was either McAfee or Windows as it had a shield logo. But when it got to the end and had found 59 infections it wanted me to activate it and pay. All it had at the top of the on-screen box was System Protection.

OK, into safe mode with networking, daughter's login, I have google running

I have just found a picture of the System Protection Box at bleepingcomputer.com

Does it look genuine or scam to you?

Message was edited by: adamreith on 31/03/11 22:31:44 CDT
                  • 6. Re: Could use help after a virus problem please
                    JaiPrakash

Hi Adam,

It appears like it might be a Spyware & moreover this issue needs some more diagnostics, I have sent you an e-mail requesting for more details on the same. Kindly have it replied so that we can help you better on this issue.

• 7. Re: Could use help after a virus problem please

Ok Jai, got three emails. I don't think I can reply to them though as it says Do not reply to this email at the top.

• 8. Re: Could use help after a virus problem please
                        JaiPrakash

Hi Adam,

I have sent an e-mail to your mail box @virgin.net. Kindly have it replied so that we can help you better on this issue.

• 9. Re: Could use help after a virus problem please

I clicked on the reply link.

1 2 Previous Next