1 2 Previous Next 12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2011 5:58 AM by Peter M

McAfee SecurityCenter caused my PC to crash

After installation of McAfee SecurityCenter 10.5, my PC began to get bluescreens after running for about an hour.  I saw McSvHost.exe, iexplore.exe, svhost.exe stopped working.  Windows OS stopped working, and the bluescreens came up.  The reliability index of my PC went down to 2.0+. 

After I unstalled McAfee SecurityCenter 10.5, my PC began to work normally.  There have been no bluescreens, IE failing and other programs failing.  This confirmed that McAfee SecurityCenter is the culprit of my problems.

I have a Acer M3100 PC with AMD Athlon 64x2 processor. 

Does McAfee have a fix for the problems that I experienced?

• 1. Re: McAfee SecurityCenter caused my PC to crash
          Peter M

What is your operating system and service pack, what browser and version and do you have any other security software installed?

Blue screens of death (BSOD's) usually indicate hardware/driver problems, possibly precipitated by security protection (or any software for that matter) being installed.

• 2. Re: McAfee SecurityCenter caused my PC to crash

Hi, Ex_Brit

Thanks for the response.  My OS is Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 (OS Version: 6_0_6002, Service Pack: 2_0, Product: 768_1).  The IE version is 8.0.6001.19019.  Windows Defender is part of Windows.  There is no other security software installed.  I see other posts saying that the network driver could be the issue.  My network adapter is Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet and the driver is 10.51.1.9.  Do you think I need to upgrade the network driver, if there is one? 

Thanks!

Joe

• 3. Re: McAfee SecurityCenter caused my PC to crash
              Peter M

Check your computer maker's website or your motherboard maker's website for updated drivers - but I'm afraid if you need help with that I am no expert.

I suggest you  contact Technical Support Chat via Useful Links at the top of this page and explain the situation.

You might also want to install IE9 as it is safer and faster than IE8.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 31/03/11 8:14:27 EDT AM
              • 4. Re: McAfee SecurityCenter caused my PC to crash
                Peter M

By the way, I just realised I have the same ethernet adapter as you and my driver is 11.30.1.3 dated 15/09/10.

I also added some more things to my post above.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 31/03/11 8:15:01 EDT AM
                • 5. Re: McAfee SecurityCenter caused my PC to crash
                  Dinz

Hi Joe,

You are right , if the blue screen actually appears as soon as McAfee programs are installed on to the machine, Our developers earlier found that it might be due to a flavor of outdated network adapters that caused the issue . Here is one simple way to update your complete windows and network drivers.

Open IE – Click on tools and then Click on Windows update à Install any available update from there.

Then right click on my computer – click on properties  – From the hardware tab  –  Click on Device Manger
                  Click on the symbol beside network adapters and you will able to find out your network adapter.

Right click on that and click on properties

From the Driver –  Click on Update Driver

This should download the latest drivers for your network adapter.

Post that run the MCPR tool from Useful links at the top of this page and reboot the PC
                  Run the Mcpreinstall tool from here

Reinstall your programs from your account page and let us know the status.

Regards,

• 6. Re: McAfee SecurityCenter caused my PC to crash

Hi, Dinesh,

I went to Device Manager and selected update driver for my Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Ethernet Controller.  I picked "Search automatically for updated driver software".  Affter searching for about 30 seconds, I got back a message saying that the best driver software for your device is already installed.  Do you have a link to download an updated driver for my ethernet card?

Thanks!

Joe

• 7. Re: McAfee SecurityCenter caused my PC to crash

I found the Marvell Yukon driver.  The version is 11.41.3.3 and dated 2/17/2011.  I am going to re-install McAfee SecurityCenter.  Keep my fingers crossed.

Joe

• 8. Re: McAfee SecurityCenter caused my PC to crash
                        Peter M

Thanks for the tip, I've updated my drivers. ;-)

• 9. Re: McAfee SecurityCenter caused my PC to crash

Hi, McAfee Communities,

Upgrading the ethernet driver does not stop crashing.  My Acer PC crashes one to two times (blue screens) per day after McAfee SecurityCenter was reinstalled.  I run out of ideas on how to make McAfee work.  Does anyone have an Acer AM3100-U3401A , and McAfee runs fine on it? 

Regards,

Joe

1 2 Previous Next