9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2011 5:50 AM by exbrit

How to control software installs?

Hi,

I have Internet Security and I would like McAfee to prompt me for an approval (yes/no) before a program gets installed (by any other software or program).

Can Internet Security do this? If so, how do you configure it?

TIA, Matt

• 1. Re: How to control software installs?
          JaiPrakash

Hi,

Please update us with the below details in order to assist you in an enhanced way.

Version of installed McAfee Product:

(Navigation: Open McAfee product > Click Navigation on the top right > about)

• McAfee Security Center:
          • McAfee Virus Scan:
          • DAT version:
          • McAfee Personal Firewall:
          • 2. Re: How to control software installs?

About  McAfee Internet Security

McAfee Security Center

Version 10.5 Build 10.5.227

affld0 language en-us

last update 2/21/11

McAfee Virus Scan

Version 14.5 Build 14.5.130

last update 3/30/11

DAT VERSION 6301

DAT creation date 3/30/11

• 3. Re: How to control software installs?
              Dinz

Hi Matt,

Personal Firewall displays an alert when it detects Internet or network traffic from new or modified applications. If an alert appears recommending caution when allowing the application Internet access, you can select Click here to get more information about the application. This option appears in the alert if Personal Firewall is configured to use Smart Recommendations.

Here are some Example reasons an application might request Internet access:

• A program might need to check for automatic updates.
              • A program might need to retrieve information such as email, news, or music.
              • A program might need to communicate with a licensing server to verify your right to use the program.
              • A program might need to communicate with a server to submit your registration information.

Possible actions when a program requests Internet access:

• Click Grant Access to allow the application to both send and receive data on non-system ports.
              • Click Block All Access to prevent the application from sending or receiving data.

So as per your original question ,  - How to control software installs? –  When any software installs to your computer , there happens a automatic pop up alerting you the same and requesting your action either .

Regards,

• 4. Re: How to control software installs?

Dinesh,

Thank you for the reply.

I want to make sure that when I am on the Web and something or someone from the Web -

like a virus -

is going to attempt to install itself onto my computer, I want to make sure McAfee pops up to say something like:

"There is a request to install software onto your computer from the Internet.

Do you want to allow this?  Yes/No"

That way I know when something or someone wants to install software on my computer and I can make the decision as to whether or not to let it happen.

Can McAfee do this? If so, how do I set it up?

Thanks, Matt

• 5. Re: How to control software installs?
                  JaiPrakash

Hi Matt,

Have you noticed whether it shows any name of the software along with the popup?

If you happen to the see the popup again kindly take a screen shot of the same and update us.

Also kindly let us know, what is the website that you are trying to access?

I believe you should have McAfee Site Advisor or Site Advisor Plus on your computer.

But the feature that you are looking is available with the new “McAfee Site Advisor Live”. You can get site advisor live by clicking the following link http://www.siteadvisor.com/download/windows.html

• 6. Re: How to control software installs?

> Have you noticed whether it shows any name of the software along with the popup?

- There is no way to answer this. Every time it has been different. And more importantly,

my question is about *future* activities - not what has happened in the past. I *do* know

this - I (the human) need to give the authorization for software to be installed on my computer

regardless of where that software comes from (for example, a malicious Web site).

> If you happen to the see the popup again kindly take a screen shot of the same and update us.

- This is not applicable. Please see above.

> Also kindly let us know, what is the website that you are trying to access?

- This always changes. I need this is mainly for my teenage daughter's

computer where she goes to sites like Facebook and iTunes.

> I believe you should have McAfee Site Advisor or Site Advisor Plus on your computer. But the feature that you are looking is available with the new “McAfee Site Advisor Live”. You can get site advisor live by clicking the following link http://www.siteadvisor.com/download/windows.html

- I will look to see if any McAfee products can provide me (the human) the protection and ability

to give the authorization for software to be installed on my computer - regardless of  where that

software comes from (for example, a malicious Web site). Nothing in the

'McAfee® SiteAdvisor Live' online documentation says it will do this for me.

There are other virus-scan/firewall products that will let me do this (that is, protect me this way)

on the 5 computers where I currently have McAfee installed.

on 4/1/11 5:25:21 AM CDT
                    • 7. Re: How to control software installs?
                      exbrit

Jai is correct, SiteAdvisor Live when set correctly should provide most of what you want.

http://www.siteadvisor.com/download/windows.html

Quote:

Protected Mode

Using SiteAdvisor LIVE, you can use Protected Mode to set a password to protect you or your family from visiting potentially dangerous websites and downloading files that are risky.

and..

Download Protection

SiteAdvisor LIVE scans files as you download them for threats. Depending on the protection level you set, Download Protection will stop the download and warn you of the risks.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 01/04/11 6:25:47 EDT AM
                      • 8. Re: How to control software installs?

Peter,

Thanks for the reply.

This does not answer my question.

My family members already know how to handle downloads.

The problem is where the 'Windows Power Expansion' malicious software package/virus installed itself to my daughter's computer - all on it's own.

She could have prevented this if she been prompted by something like, "Blahbity-blop wants to install 'Windows Power Expansion' on your computer. Is this OK? yes/no". She would have been able to say "no" (don't let the install proceed).

So, again, the problem is with software installations - not downloads.

And yes, I realize that a software application must first be downloaded before it can be installed.

However, that is a distinction that my teenage daughter is not quite ready to consider.

And frankly, not one she needs to consider.

I don't care if she *does* download a malicious software package.

She can download them all day long.

As long as they don't get installed, that is.

No software system, application or program has *ever*  affected *any* computer without *first* being installed.

• 9. Re: How to control software installs?
                          exbrit

Ah, I understand.  Maybe Jai can suggest something else with settings then.

Is your daughter a standard user account (as against admin-level)?

Have you turned on Parental Controls (depending on version of Windows installed)?

For McAfee Parental Controls you would need the Total Protection suite.

But believe me, from my experience, kids have a knack of getting around just about any security barriers.