2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2011 11:46 AM by jont717

Web Gateway 7.0 & Web Reporter 5.1

I setup our McAffee WebGateway (currently version 7.0.2.4.0) as out corporate web proxy, and have had it running for over a year now.

Last week I upgraded to version 7.0.2.4.0 as a "fresh" installation (not a migration).

This is what I am trying to accomplish with the WG:

1.  We have an Active Directory GPO that assigns all users to one of two groups

WebRestricted (normal employees)

WebUnRestricted (Management & Executives)

2.  I'm pretty familiar with setting up the proxy filters based on the AD Group membership (WebRestricted / WebUnRestricted), and have already completed the corresponding policies

3.  I need to be able to view reports that will identify users (by username, and by department - for activity reports)

Given this, my questions are primarily related to the relationship between the WG and Web Reporter (Premium):

1. Does Proxy authentication have anything to do with "gathering" user informaiton that gets entered into the logs?

By this I mean, if I use LDAP authentication, will the WG gather the user attributes I configured at authentication (such as user and group attributes)? Or is this not related at all?

2. I have read a LOT of the documentation for both the WG and Web Reporter, and am having some difficulties setting up the Web Reporter to provide the reports we require. As such, my next question is:

Do I have to use Web Reporter to provide WG reports? Does the WG use a standard log format that can be used  by a standard web reporting software?

3. I would like to be able to provide access to these standard department reports to the various managers, so they do not have to ask the IT Department for reports. I know that using WebReporter, I can share the reports accordingly.

Is my assumption correct here? All I need to do is create my reports, and then share those reports with the appropriate managers (once provided with a Web Reporter login)?

I know there is a LOT of  other information I should provide here, so if you have any questions, please feel free to ask, and I will provide in detail.

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Message was edited by: rhamlin on 3/28/11 11:14:48 AM CDT
        • 1. Re: Web Gateway 7.0 & Web Reporter 5.1
          sroering

rhamlin wrote:

1. Does Proxy authentication have anything to do with "gathering" user informaiton that gets entered into the logs?

By this I mean, if I use LDAP authentication, will the WG gather the user attributes I configured at authentication (such as user and group attributes)? Or is this not related at all?

2. I have read a LOT of the documentation for both the WG and Web Reporter, and am having some difficulties setting up the Web Reporter to provide the reports we require. As such, my next question is:

Do I have to use Web Reporter to provide WG reports? Does the WG use a standard log format that can be used  by a standard web reporting software?

3. I would like to be able to provide access to these standard department reports to the various managers, so they do not have to ask the IT Department for reports. I know that using WebReporter, I can share the reports accordingly.

Is my assumption correct here? All I need to do is create my reports, and then share those reports with the appropriate managers (once provided with a Web Reporter login)?

Message was edited by: rhamlin on 3/28/11 11:14:48 AM CDT

1) I'll let someone more qualified than me repond in regards to configuring the MWG.

2) Web Reporter can filter reports based on LDAP group memberships. Read this Knowledge Base article for instructions to get that working.  The current limitation is that the group attribute must actually be a group object, so it must be memberOf for Active Directory. You couldn't use department since that is an attribute on the user object, not an actual group object.  Web Reporter 5.2 will allow any attribute to be used for group filters and should be available by the end of April.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB67630

3) You have a few options.  Assuming the group membership is set correctly, you can create a logon account for any AD group and set restrictions for those logon-accounts.  This has the effect of putting implicit group filter on any of their reports.    The second option is for you to configure the reports for them on your own account, then set a schedule to have them run automatically and then e-mailed to each person. 

It's important to note that queries and filters can be shared, reports cannot.  The only way to share a report is to export it, then have the other person import their own copy using the import/export button on the advanced report screen.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Web Gateway 7.0 & Web Reporter 5.1
            jont717

Yes.  It will get user names and what groups they are a part of. 

2. Do I have to use Web Reporter to provide WG reports? Does the WG use a standard log format that can be used  by a standard web reporting software?

No.  You can user other software.  The logs in the Web Gateway are highly customizable.  Also check the documentation of the other software you are considering.

3. I would like to be able to provide access to these standard department reports to the various managers, so they do not have to ask the IT Department for reports. I know that using WebReporter, I can share the reports accordingly. Is my assumption correct here?

Yes.  They can be added as Web Reporter users and can run reports that they need or shared reports.

1 of 1 people found this helpful