1 2 Previous Next 13 Replies Latest reply: Mar 28, 2011 9:56 AM by qussay RSS

Unable to Continue Installation Error Code:87

Hi,

I had problems with updating my Mcafee Antivirus Plus so I have unistalled it. I have been trying to redownload it but it gives this message "Unable to Continue Installation Problem Code:87".

May be by mistake I have inactivated my IP.

Is this the case?

Please help

Thanks

• 1. Re: Unable to Continue Installation Error Code:87
          Ex_Brit

Some questions...

What is your operating system and service pack?

How do you connect to the internet?

What other security software, if any, do you already have?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 28/03/11 6:48:53 EDT AM
          • 2. Re: Unable to Continue Installation Error Code:87

I am using windows Xp sp3, DSL 8mgps broadband (currently wireless) and no other antivirus software..It was mcafee (the same version) but has been uninstalled due to update failure.

thanks

Message was edited by: qussay on 28/03/11 06:11:35 CDT
            • 3. Re: Unable to Continue Installation Error Code:87
              Ex_Brit

Well let's see....

Try this first, regardless of whatever browser is your default open Internet Explorer (which I hope is 8) and click Tools/Internet Options/Advanced

Click Reset, Apply and OK.

Close and reopen IE

Click Tools/Manage Add-ons and re-enable whatever add-ons you want.

Next download and run the MCPR cleanup tool listed under Useful Links at the top ofr this page, reboot.

Try your installation again.

Wireless connections can be tricky at times, if it fails again can you connect wired?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 28/03/11 7:30:36 EDT AM
              • 4. Re: Unable to Continue Installation Error Code:87
                Ex_Brit

I did some further digging and around 2 years ago I posted this in answer to a similar query:

I checked and error code 87 indicated that there is a corrupted file on McAfee's servers. The problem usually rectifies itself after a short while.

However, that thread ended up talking about malware and once we had run a scan using an independent anti-malware scanner all was OK.   In that case it wasn't a wireless connection anyway.

You might want to run a scan using the free version of THIS and see if it helps.  Update it first and let it remove anything it finds and reboot if asked to.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 28/03/11 7:54:23 EDT AM
                • 5. Re: Unable to Continue Installation Error Code:87

Hi,

I did. I have installed the anti-malware but got 10 infections removed after updating the software. I have rebooted the computer but still the same problem. Bear in mind that this problem was since last week as I am aware of.

Please see below what I get second before the error message (the picture as well) above.

Unable to Install.jpg

• 6. Re: Unable to Continue Installation Error Code:87
                    Ex_Brit

Can you connect using a wired LAN?

• 7. Re: Unable to Continue Installation Error Code:87

Not really. The lan is a bit far away. But I have installed the software using the wireless connection in the first time.

• 8. Re: Unable to Continue Installation Error Code:87
                        Ex_Brit

Understood and I agree, it should work regardless of type of connection.   The only one guaranteed to fail is a secured proxy connection which I trust you don't use (as often seen in a University for instance).

I think your best bet right now is to contact Technical Support Chat via Useful Links at the top of this page.  They can connect with you directly to troubleshoot the issue.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 28/03/11 9:30:47 EDT AM
                        • 9. Re: Unable to Continue Installation Error Code:87

I have tried a mobile network internet via a dongle and it starts to download. I believe the wired connection would solve the problem. It is worth the try. will update you soon.

Thanks for the help

Message was edited by: qussay on 28/03/11 08:41:49 CDT
                          1 2 Previous Next