3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2011 10:39 AM by JoeBidgood

Changing hostname of ePo Server

Dear All,

I have that scenario at one of my customers.

I have already ePo Server 1 which handles the customer environment, however the customer decided to have a new clustered servers to manage the environment and decomission the old ePo, my concern here is that they want to change the hostname of the ePo server and here my question goes, is there any safe way to change the hostname of ePo server without having to re-push all agents again ? I have searched the knowledge base however all the disaster recovery KBs was mentioning that it is a prerequisite for the DR procedures to success is NOT to change the hostname.

BR,

Mostafa Soliman

• 1. Re: Changing hostname of ePo Server
          JoeBidgood

Just changing the name of the server is not a problem, as long as the SQL server is not on the same machine (as Microsoft do not support renaming SQL servers, I believe.)

However, if they are intending to move ePO to a new server with a different name, then this will cause a problem. A safer approach would be to rename the existing ePO server to the name that the new server will have, make sure that all the clients pick up the name change (by getting a new sitelist from the server) and then move the ePO installation to the new server.

Regards -

Joe

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Changing hostname of ePo Server

Thank you, so what would be the procedures to change existing server hostname ?

Also can you advise steps to migrate to a new server ?

BR,

Mostafa Soliman

• 3. Re: Changing hostname of ePo Server
              JoeBidgood

Changing the hostname is done as normal - ePO will pick up the new name when the machine restarts. Just make sure you don't change the machine's name and IP address at the same time: otherwise the clients won't be able to find the server.

Moving ePO to a new server is described as part of the disaster recovery document - please see KB 66616 for more detail.

HTH -

Joe