2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2011 3:13 AM by JaiPrakash

Virus Scan Freezes on a File

I have McAfee Total Protection 2011 running on a Windows 7 64-bit.

Tuesday, the scheduled full scan ran fine.

Thursday, it would freeze on "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\pdm.dll"

When the scan froze, it would cause the laptop to run so slowly I would have to shut it off.

A quick scan ran fine.  Windows Defender quick scan ran fine.

After the 6th or 7th time of having to turn the laptop off, I started a full scan using Windows Defender.  During the Defender scan, McAfee started automatically started the scheduled full scan again and that time completed it with no problems.

Nothing was found during the quick or full scans.

Saturday was the next scheduled full scan and McAfee could not complete a scan because it freeze again on the pdm.dll.

Quick scan ran fine and so did a full scan using Windows Defender.

Nothing was found by Defender or during the quick scan with McAfee.

The desktop computer has no trouble with completing a scan but when I search for "pdm.dll" files, it doesn't find any.

I can't find anything telling me what the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\pdm.dll" is and if I should remove it from the laptop.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Diana

• 1. Re: Virus Scan Freezes on a File
          Peacekeeper

That file is there on my PC . You got explorer 8 or 9? I have 8.

Mine is 348Kb in size so not a big file. Maybe it is corrupt and a rebuild of IE might help.

BTW windows defender should be off I feel though some say having it on works I would set it to off.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 28/03/11 6:48:22 PM
          • 2. Re: Virus Scan Freezes on a File
            JaiPrakash

Hi Diana,

You can once try these steps and update us what happens:

Step 1: Manually disable script debugging in Internet Explorer by following the below steps

1. Start Internet
            2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
            3. On the Advanced tab, under the Browsing section, click to select the Disable script debugging (Internet Explorer) check box and the Disable script debugging (Other) check box if it is present.
            4. OK, and then restart your computer.

Step 2: Right click on the pdm.dll file and scan using McAfee & examine what happens (or) Initiate a full scan and observe what happens:

Also, please confirm the below details:

Version of Internet Explorer: IE 8/ IE9

Size Of the pdm.dll file: