Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
5087 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Jun 9, 2011 11:26 AM by yowza1 RSS 1 2 Previous Next
yowza1 Newcomer 24 posts since
Mar 15, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 25, 2011 2:09 PM

Firewall protection shows ON on Home Page, and Settings shows Firewall OFF

On my McAfee Home page, my Firewall shows ON.  When I go to the Firewall Settings, it shows that the Firewall is OFF.  I have tried ti turn the Firewall ON in the Settings using the Turn n button, button, but it does not allow me to change it.  Consequently, all areas under the Firewall Settings are Grayed out.

I have reinstalled McAfee over the current McAfee installation, but that had no effect.  So I uninstalled McAfee completely, then reinstalled.  Still nothing changed. 

My laptop is on wireless home network running WIN 7 and IE8.  My guess would be that I need to contact support?

Thanks....

• Jayadeep NR McAfeeSME 350 posts since
    Dec 20, 2010

Yowza1,

Please click Windows button along with R button and it will open RUN box.

Type “services.msc” on Run box and hit Enter Key.

It will open Windows Services. Please locate Windows Firewall service and change it to Automatic and start the service (if it is not already started).

Restart the computer and check that status of the issue.

Thanks and regards,

Jayadeep NR
    McAfee SME

If you find this post helpful, a click upon Helpful Answer button at bottom would always be appreciated.
    If it also solves your problem, clicking Correct Answer below it will benefit other users!
  • k3tg Veteran 870 posts since
    May 22, 2007

You should if you have not already tried to contact Technical Support found at the top of this page under Useful Links. I would first run the McAfee Virtual Technician which you will find after you click the Technical Support link. MVT will scan your computer for any McAfee related issue and if it finds any it will attempt to fix it. MVT^ will genearte a session number which you should post here on the forum. You could then contact by Chat the McAfee technician who has the ability to remote connect in to your computer to see if any conflicts are there. You need to grant them permission to do this and they have many more tools available than we do here on the forum.

Let us know how this works for you.

Tom K3TG

Volunteer Moderator
  • srsaleh2 Newcomer 5 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011

So guys let me get this straight, because I have the same problem...  I need to "start" the windows firewall using services???  That doesnt make sense.  Are you saying I need to UNinstall McAfee first, then disable the windows firewall manually, then INSTALL McAfee, then Enable windows firewall???  Im so confused. PLEASE HELP!

Jun 8, 2011

Thanks Yowza1, and Yes that is correct what you described.  However, I did what you said.  I disabled the Windows Firewall Service.  I uninstalled McAfee then I reinstalled it (making sure Windows Firewall was stopped and disabled beforehand).  After my install, nothing changed, I still have the same problem.  Any suggestions?

Jun 8, 2011

Thanks for the reply.  That does make sense but I don't know what files need to be removed "cleanly" and what registry items need to be changed.  I am comfortable following instructions...  I have used that virtual technician and all that does is tell me that there is a problem with my Firewall Service (that it was expecting it to be installed but it is not installed).  I chatted with support yesterday, and after 1 hour his best suggestion was to re-install the product.  He said he could escalate it and I said yes please do.  They were supposed to call me back last night but they did not.  I have already uninstalled and installed about 3 times and each time I have to wait for it to download the EXE from the website.  Its rediculous that we cannot just save the stupid EXE file to our local drive...  I appreciate your feedback very much!!!  You are helping more than McAfee is...

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points