1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 25, 2011 6:03 PM by noah

EPO 4.0 Patch 6 to EPO 4.5 Patch 4 Upgrade Questions

passmaster16

Hi,

I'm preparing to upgrade from EPO 4.0 Patch 6 to EPO 4.5 Patch 4.  Any tips or things I need to know before I do this upgrade?  I plan to backup the database and capture an image of the EPO server itself prior to proceeding.

Also, it is my understanding that EPO 4.5 now has Agent Handlers which can be used to help scale the EPO deployment better.  We currently have 1 EPO 4.0 server and two SA repositories across our three geographic locations.  From what I've read, implementing AH would not really save bandwidth but just confine it to a central location.  Is this correct?  I suppose one area where AH could help us more is we have a few segmented networks that we never deployed EPO 4 to because the agents themselves had to be able to connect to the master server of the production network.  Does this make sense?

Thanks in advance for any input you could provide!

• 1. Re: EPO 4.0 Patch 6 to EPO 4.5 Patch 4 Upgrade Questions

As I understand it Agent Handlers are mini-epo servers. Computers talk to their agent handler and then the handler talks to the EPO server. With just repositories the agents will still contact the EPO server for policy updates and other policy information, but an agent handler will handle all communications including acting as a distributed repository. You will probably need a lot of systems, a very slow server, or very slow WAN links to really see the benefits. We've been running one EPO server and no repositories for 400+ systems across multiple sites around our county without issue, although I am adding repositories to help reduce bandwidth usage.