Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
477 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 25, 2011 6:00 PM by Jayadeep NR RSS
mwidunn Newcomer 10 posts since
Mar 20, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 25, 2011 12:57 PM

Is firewall working?

I'm running Win7 SP1 and McAfee Security Center 10.5.  Everything is fully current and updated.

When I open the Home view of Security Center, it tells me that the Firewall is ON.  But, if I check and click on the Settings link, it indicates that the Firewall is OFF and has a button for me to click in order to turn it on.  When I go CONTROL PANEL > WINDOWS FIREWALL, it shows that the pre-existing Win7 firewall is turned off and that its settings are being managed by McAfee.

Recently, I had a pop-up regarding allowing a program to access to the Internet.  But, it seemed to be coming from the WINDOWS FIREWALL -- and, not McAfee. (It was a large light blue box with the Win7 shield on it.  It looked nothing like McAfee's pop-ups.  This is why I decided to check the McAfee settings.)

So, . . . is the McAfee firewall actually on?  Does the Win7 firewall sometimes "slip through" McAfee?  Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks.

Attachments:
  • Jayadeep NR McAfeeSME 350 posts since
    Dec 20, 2010
    1. Mar 25, 2011 2:33 PM (in response to mwidunn)
    Re: Is firewall working?

Matthew,

Please click Windows button along with R button and it will open RUN box.

Type “services.msc” on Run box and hit Enter Key.

It will open Windows Services. Please locate Windows Firewall service and change it to Automatic and start the service (if it is not already started).

Restart the computer and check that status of the issue.

Thanks and regards,

Jayadeep NR
    McAfee SME

If you find this post helpful, a click upon Helpful Answer button at bottom would always be appreciated.
    If it also solves your problem, clicking Correct Answer below it will benefit other users!
  • Jayadeep NR McAfeeSME 350 posts since
    Dec 20, 2010
    3. Mar 25, 2011 6:00 PM (in response to mwidunn)
    Re: Is firewall working?

Since issue has been resolved, there is no need to re-install McAfee. I have replied to your other thread.

Thanks and regards,

Jayadeep NR
    McAfee SME

If you find this post helpful, a click upon Helpful Answer button at bottom would always be appreciated.
    If it also solves your problem, clicking Correct Answer below it will benefit other users!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points