7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2011 12:08 PM by SafeBoot

Problem after removing Safeboot 4.2

Good afternoon.

After removing safeboot 4.2 with recovery disk, because the machine was permanentelly deleted in console, i receive a message that says " error loading operating system" and even after i put the disk in a case usb and plug it in my pc, iwhen i try to access the information, it asks if i want to format the disk.

In disk management, i see the disk with 3 partitios, but none are accessible.

Any idea how to resolve this?

• 1. Re: Problem after removing Safeboot 4.2

most likely you used the wrong recovery disk -did you test the key before you did the remove? Can you attach the .trk file from your recovery disk perhaps?

• 2. Re: Problem after removing Safeboot 4.2

Sure.

The file is in attach

• 3. Re: Problem after removing Safeboot 4.2

This can't be the right TRK file - the log is from 2005 ?

• 4. Re: Problem after removing Safeboot 4.2

Sorry, wrong diskette.

Here is the correct.

I only change our password in the file for xxxxx.

Regards

• 5. Re: Problem after removing Safeboot 4.2

You interupted the decrpytion process, and then chose not to continue?

[18/3/2011 11:29:47] CHOICE    SafeTech was interrupted while performing a remove would you like to continue?

[18/3/2011 11:29:54] RESPONSE  Normal Operation

[18/3/2011 11:29:55] WARNING   SafeTech is about to continue with normal operation without attending to the current power-failure situation. Inititing another remove WILL erase the current power-fail state. Abort (then restart) to handle the powerfail correctly.

[18/3/2011 11:29:58] CHOICE    SafeTech is about to continue with normal operation without attending to the current power-failure situation. Inititing another remove WILL erase the current power-fail state. Abort (then restart) to handle the powerfail correctly.

[18/3/2011 11:30:25] RESPONSE  Proceed

So, some of your disk will be decrypted, some won't.

Then you went and did a remove again, ignoring all the warnings.

[18/3/2011 11:30:33] MENU      Values from database

[18/3/2011 11:30:35] FILEREQ   Select machine configuration database (default A:\*.SDB)

[18/3/2011 11:30:37] RESPONSE  A:\4bv.sdb

[18/3/2011 11:30:42] WARNING   SafeTech cannot confirm the machine id matches the configuration database unless you use "Values from Disk" before proceeding

[18/3/2011 11:30:43] CHOICE    SafeTech cannot confirm the machine id matches the configuration database unless you use "Values from Disk" before proceeding

[18/3/2011 11:30:54] RESPONSE  Proceed

[18/3/2011 11:30:59] STATUS    SafeBoot values read from configuration database (but NOT verified for this installation!)

[18/3/2011 11:31:04] MENU      Remove SafeBoot

So now some of the disk is decrypted with the right key, some is double-decrypted with the key from 4bv.sdb, some is only once decrypted with the key in 4vb.sdb

a bit of a mess eh?

I would re-encrypt the disk with 4bv - that should get you back to the point where the partition boot sector is visible and looks good. Then you need to work out how far the first decryption got to by a binary-chop inspection, find the key which matches it (4bv might be ok?), and decrypt that range as well.

• 6. Re: Problem after removing Safeboot 4.2

And how can i re-encrypt the disk?

If i re-encrypt the disk, and it won't work, if i go to a firm that recovers disks, it won't be difficult for them to try to recover the information?

Message was edited by: kapas on 3/23/11 12:00:07 PM CDT
                    • 7. Re: Problem after removing Safeboot 4.2

The disk menu offers an "encrypt sectors" option if I remember right.

No, I expect a disk recovery company won't want to touch this drive without you paying a lot of money up front - If you don't have the right SDB file, the data is lost for sure. They won't be able to decrypt it any more than you will, though they may have more experience with SafeTech - Kroll Ontrack are pretty good if I remember right, you need to explain to them exactly what you did though.

Best thing to do is to play around with sector 63 until you validate the right sequence of events. Or, give it to someone more experienced in your helpdesk to sort out.