1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 23, 2011 1:43 PM by jguenrdc

Endpoint Newbie

I just upgraded from Virusscan Enterprise 8.5. I am not the person who installed VirusScan and they are no longer with us. I upgraded to the Endpoint Protection Suite. I went to the download section to DL and install and there are tons of files available. Which ones do I need? I know the standard answer is "it depends" ;-) but I really want a simple but extensive protection suite for my systems. I want to get what I paid for and be as protected as possible without hindering my internet use. So if anyone can offer up the best mix of modules to load I would greatly appreciate it. If Im missing it is there just a single " install option" that I'm missing.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Endpoint Newbie

I'm not sure you're going to get "simple but extensive protection suite".  McAfee's tools are powerful and flexible, but aren't always simple.

Having said that, you'll probably want to start out with:

ePolicy Orchestrator v4.5.0 - This is the administration tool for deploying, configuring, tracking, etc. the other products.  Usually abbreviated ePO.

McAfee Agent 4.5.0 - This is the software that resides on each computer and "talks" to ePO.

VirusScan Enterprise v8.8 - This is the anti-virus, anti-spyware, etc.

If you have not used ePO before, I strongly recommend reading as much documentation about it as possible before you attempt to install it.  Make sure you pay close attention to the system requirements and installation procedures.  Also the sections on adding things to the repository, updating the repository, and deploying the agent and other products (such as VirusScan) are crucial.

I'm not trying to discourage you from using the products, just recommending that you do some reading before you start.

I don't have experience with any of the products other than the 3 listed above.  My advice would be to read the documentation for the other products and see if they meet your needs.