4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2011 7:10 AM by Peter M

Scanning/trojan issue

Hi there!

Ive been having trouble with my mcafee virus protection, real time keeps turning itself off and i cant scan, ive read that others have had a simlar problem. First off, i got a trojan called the "Zeus" trojan, mcafee couldnt seem to find or fix it, so we did a system restore. Does anyone know if system restore will get rid of the zeus virus? Since doing the system restore mcafee is playing up. Any help would be great

• 1. Re: Scanning/trojan issue
          k3tg

Required Reading - Home User Assistance Malware Troubleshooting

This document from McAfee will assist you in any virus or malware issues. Please be sure to follow the recommendations in the document and run the stinger scan which is included in the document to see if this finds anything additional that might be causing you an issue.

If after you try all the suggestions you still have any problems you could try running the free version of this program http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php  When you get the program installed check for the latest updates and run the program and let it clean everything it finds and reboot the computer.

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

• 2. Re: Scanning/trojan issue

The "zeus" virus, whenever i would do anything on the internet it would pop up with a box saying "Hello! Zeus is here", whenever i would click on anything on the net page it would pop up again. I ran a scan with mcafee but it didnt find anything, so we did a system restore and now the pop up boxes have gone. I fixed the mcafee scan thing, but its still not finding anything. My computer seems to be running better now too. Would the system restore have got rid of the zeus thing? Its all running fine now..

• 3. Re: Scanning/trojan issue
              k3tg

I would still follow the instructions that I previously posted for you and keep an eye on your computer to see if it continues to run ok. It is possible the system restore may have taken care of your problem but it still may be there only to resurface some day.

• 4. Re: Scanning/trojan issue
                Peter M

Moved to Malware Discussion > Home User Assistance.

Normally System Restore, if successful, is the easiest way to thwart an infection as long as you then make sure that Windows and McAfee, and anything else that is time-sensitive, are updated.

Also it is advisable to temporarily disable System Restore to delete the infected restore point.

There are some tools that may help here:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2168