1 2 Previous Next 10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2011 1:17 PM by exbrit

Updates download but fail to install

Hi,

I'm using Security Suite / Special Edition from AOL. The program seems to work OK, but after finding and uploading updates, they fail to install. I'm running Windows XP on a Panasonic Toughbook CF-28. I do not get any error messages, it's just when I check on the installation progress, it never gets pass 0%.

I've let it run for as long as 36 hours...still at 0%. My only recourse is to open McAfee and choose the download updates and notify me before installing option, then restarting my computer. If I don't, the program taxes my harddrive to the point it slows to a crawl, and I can't do anything else.

My concern here is that these updates can't be used, besides the crawl issue.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

• 1. Re: Updates download but fail to install
          k3tg

The first thing that I suggest you try to do is to run the McAfee Virtual Technician which is found at the top of this page under Useful Links which is in the Technical Support link. MVT will scan your computer for any McAfee related issues and if it finds any it will attempt to fix them for you.

I am not familiar with AOL version of McAfee so if you could post the information that MVT generates that will be helpful with troubleshooting. It will help to know the version, build dates, McAfee components that are installed etc.  MVT will genearte a session id number so please post this also.

Could you tell us when this problem began? Did you have any previous security software installed and if so did you completely remove it form your computer prior to installing McAfee? Please post  some info about your computer as we already know you are using XP such as how much ram available, size of hard drive, etc.

Are you up to date with all Microsoft windows updates and are you running IE8? Any recent virus or malware issues?

Another thought is to contact Technical Support Chat also found at the top of this page under Useful Links. They could remote connect into your computer to have a look inside to see if any running process or program that might be causing an issue. You need to give them permission to do so and they have more tools available than we do on the forum.

• 2. Re: Updates download but fail to install
            exbrit

XP SP3 I hope?

• 3. Re: Updates download but fail to install

OK, lets see if I can get this right. It's using XP w/SP3. Processor is Intel Pentium III, mobile CPU 800 MHx - 526 MHz, 248 MB of RAM. Paging file size: 744 MB. System drive type NTFS. Hard drive: 27.9 GB w/ 8.42GB free space. (Toshiba MK 3017GAP).

The problem started the first time the program downloaded updates and tried to install them. I downloaded the program and it removed the earlier version of McAfee AOL edition and installed itself.

I ran MVT (session ID: 31705979). It found 1 problem: DAT out of date. I hit fix and it said it was fixed. Do you think that was the problem? I haven't tried installing the updates yet as I'm not ready at the moment to risk it doing it's thing right now and chasing it around to stop it.

Thanks for your attention.

• 4. Re: Updates download but fail to install
                exbrit

It may have fixed whatever is wrong, but I see that your system is barely adequate for the software, minimum RAM 256mb for starters so that could be contributing to it.

http://home.mcafee.com/Store/PackageDetail.aspx?pkgid=276

System Requirements for the smallest package (VirusScan Plus):

Supported Operating Systems

• Windows XP (32-bit) with Service Pack 2 (SP2) or higher
                • Windows Vista (32-bit and 64-bit)
                • Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit) View FAQ

Compatible with Windows XP  Compatible with Windows Vista              Compatible with Windows7                       

System Requirements

• 1 GHz processor or higher
                • 800 × 600 or higher resolution
                • 256 MB RAM or higher for Windows XP (512 MB recommended)
                • 512 MB RAM for Vista/Windows 7 (2GB recommended)
                • 200 MB of available free drive space
                • Internet connection

Supported Browsers

• Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or later
                • Optional: Mozilla Firefox 2 or later
                1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Updates download but fail to install

Well, thanks for the heads up. I guess it's time to find something else, then, as this program is apparently worthless to me. Too bad I couldn't keep the earlier version...it worked fine.

• 6. Re: Updates download but fail to install

Any ideas what the file might be that contains the downloaded updates, and where it might be found?

Message was edited by: mortiquie on 3/26/11 7:55:03 AM CDT
                    • 7. Re: Updates download but fail to install
                      exbrit

Not sure about the individual components of the update files but reference to that is here:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2155

• 8. Re: Updates download but fail to install
                        exbrit

Moved this to VirusScan 14 - 2010 as a more appropriate spot.

• 9. Re: Updates download but fail to install

I guess as a self described middle aged computer idiot, who basically learned what little I know about computers with hands on trial and error over the last 8 years, that having 8 MB short of the recommended RAM is the root of my problems. I seem to have enough to download the program without a hitch...enough to perform routine scans with no problems...download updates with no problem. However, installing the updates that were downloaded is an impossible task that won't even produce 1% of installation after hours of running.

Does this one step of installing the updates really require so much RAM that the requirements of the other processes pale in comparison?  I just can't wrap my head around it. From an idiots point of view, it would seem that the initial program that was downloaded and activated would contain much more information than would simple, periodic updates. Sorry to go on about this as I know it is probably as frustrating trying to explain these things to me is it is for me to deal with this issue. This, however, is how I learn about these things.

Thanks

1 2 Previous Next