1 2 3 Previous Next 28 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2012 4:38 PM by phokee

ERD Commander with Wintech v/s WINPE & BART PE with Wintech

rbdudani

Hi All,

I have one question here...

we all using Wintech on either WinPE or BARTPE.

as far as documents provided  to make WINPE and BART PE  (I got BART PE help document from SafeBOOT and WINPE from Simon)

With the help of above docuements we can Add Wintech & supported drivers in any  Diagnostics and  Recovery Tool... (even mcafee never denied to do so, even in documents we can read it says we can Add wintech on ERD commander Wininternals)

Now my question is which tool is better ??? (i know you all would say .. "It depends on our requirement and How we comfortable with that tools)

as in ERD commnder even we can load registry of crashed machine .. (just imagine system had only problem related to some regisrty or some Hot fix related issue)

through load registry option we can easily solve the problem withour decrypting the hdd.

so simple question ...

Which tool is better if comapre WinPE and ERD Commander ? or your sugguestion/thoughts on this.. (sorry for my english)

• 1. Re: ERD Commander with Wintech v/s WINPE & BART PE with Wintech
          mirrorless

Depends on what tools you want to do..

technically it's all bootable CD - to enable you to boot from CD/DVD (or with some tweak from USB)

WinPE was released by Microsoft for bootable CD (windows os on CD) (usefull for troubleshooting and tweaking) but only available for OEM & partner. Now Microsoft released Windows AIK can be download by public for much more configurable than WinPE.https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Windows_Automated_Installation_Ki t

Simon (SafeBoot) released a script on how to built Wintech with Windows AIK https://sites.google.com/site/ctogonewild/  and there good article How to create an EE Techrecovery disk for McAfee EEPC using WinPE 3  by DLarson

BartPE (http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/)  was relased by Bart for Bootable CD same as winpe much user friendly than WinPE altho  still confusing for some end users.. then REATOGO http://www.reatogo.de/ based on BartPe(much more configurable) and later there more advance scriptt cd builder WinBuilder http://reboot.pro/forum/22/

Back for Wintech - before AIK released SafeBoot released Wintech tools with bartpe script to help user building their own rescue cd using BartPE. I don't see any script released for REATOGO or winbuilder.

Talk about ERD Commander it's just other tools included in bootable cd you can tweak ERD Comander bootcd and add together Wintech/Safetech or you can add add ERD tools in your BartPE tools as well. or you can get your favorite portable tools and add in your bootable cd/dvd/usb

HOWEVER - what ever way you decided to do,  to fix or browse through the encrypted device you need to load the safeboot driver and decrypt it the correct key (with wintech you need to authorize and authenticate) before view and modify your data on your encrypted hardisk.

Message was edited by: mirrorless on 3/17/11 6:13:09 AM CDT
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: ERD Commander with Wintech v/s WINPE & BART PE with Wintech
            rbdudani

ERD commder has option to Load registy.. and in BART PE and WINPE I do not found that option...

It can be used to perform the following tasks:

ERD Registry editor: edit or restore Windows registry

Run System Restore – to restore the system to a bootable state

Diagnose and fix problems preventing the system from booting

Locksmith: reset a password (without knowing the administrator’s password) – great if you’re locked out

Crash Analyzer: analyze crash dumps

File Restore: Restore deleted files

Disk Commander: Repair volumes, MBR, partitions

Disk Wipe: Erase data from hard disk

Computer Management: System Information, Autoruns (configure autostarting applications), Event Viewer, Disk Management (format, manage partitions, etc.), Services and Drivers (enable, disable, etc.)

Explorer: Browse the hard drive,

Move data from the hard drive onto a USB memory key (plug in the key before booting the system with ERD Commander)

Solution Wizard : Choose the proper repair tool

TCP/IP Config: Display and set TCP/IP configuration

Hotfix Uninstall: uninstall hotfixes

SFC Scan: System file repair

Search: Search disk for files

Standalone System Sweeper: Scan your system for malware, rootkits, and potentially unwanted software

Message was edited by: rbdudani on 3/17/11 10:45:03 PM CDT
            • 3. Re: ERD Commander with Wintech v/s WINPE & BART PE with Wintech

I think in both BartPE and WinPE you can just run RegEdit as normal? ERD is just a WinPE disk with a bunch of tools loaded onto it - you could make your own version with BartPE or WinPE, it's nothing special (but very convenient!)

Message was edited by: SafeBoot on 3/18/11 8:58:04 AM EDT
              • 4. Re: ERD Commander with Wintech v/s WINPE & BART PE with Wintech
                rbdudani

regedit open in BartPE and WINPE but .. in ERD Commander can load Registry values of crashed system .. and in WINPE/BARTPE  it load BARTPE Environments Registry value..

• 5. Re: ERD Commander with Wintech v/s WINPE & BART PE with Wintech

just use the "load hive" option and open up the registry from the source drive?

• 6. Re: ERD Commander with Wintech v/s WINPE & BART PE with Wintech
                    rbdudani

I think that option is only for exported registry as .reg files ?

• 7. Re: ERD Commander with Wintech v/s WINPE & BART PE with Wintech

no, that's the "import" option - "load hive" lets you attach a registry file into a root node and work with it.

• 8. Re: ERD Commander with Wintech v/s WINPE & BART PE with Wintech
                        rbdudani

Hi Simon,

thanks for your reply...

but still i am not clear...Lets have example

I have encrypted windows XP machine.. and it got crashed..

now I have to edit some registry settings in my windows XP machine... through BART PE

how to do that ???

I will Start BART PE

1. Start Wintech

2. Safetech Code

3. Authentication

4. NOW ??? how to edit windowxp machine registry ?? as REGEDIT will show BARTPE environments values ??

5. as per your instruction lets click on IMPORT ... than ??? which file I have to select ?

• 9. Re: ERD Commander with Wintech v/s WINPE & BART PE with Wintech

well, for a start - regedit will never show you environment values - it shows you the registry ? If you want to see the environment values type "set" at a command prompt.

Loading a hive into the registry is Microsoft stuff - just make a key at HKLM or HKCU, it does not matter, then load the registry file you want to tinker with - they are always the same..

• [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SYSTEM] (%windir%/system32/config/system)
                          • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE] (%windir%/system32/config/software)
                          • [HKEY_USERS \.Default] (%windir%/system32/config/default)
                          • [HKEY_CURRENT_USER] (%userprofile%/ntuser.dat)
                          1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          1 2 3 Previous Next