7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2011 5:07 PM by Peter M

Help!!

Hi,

I'm new to this and a computer idiot so pls bare with me.

I had a virus on my laptop some sort of fake antivirus that kept directing me to a website to buy there product which I never did. I scanned laptop and ran super anti spyware, thought all was ok but now I can not access anything, files, docs, IE. When I try to open anything a dialog box comes up saying choose a program to open this or browse web. I have no idea what to do. If anyone can help I'll be very grateful.

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Help!!
          Peter M

Hi Cheryl,

Moved to Malware Discussion > Home User Assistance.

Do you remember the name of the fake antivirus?  Also what operating system and service pack are you using?  (For that information click Start Orb/All Programs/Computer (Vista/Windows 7) or My Computer (XP) & go to Properties.

First try to use System Restore to go back to before all this happened, and if successful make sure you update Windows and time-sensitive applications, such as McAfee afterwards.

See 'Using System Restore in XP or Vista (& Windows 7)'.

If that fails or wont work....

Try the following all in 'Safe Mode with Networking" - reached by repeatedly tapping F8 while booting up and it's usually #2 on the ensuing menu.  (That particular mode is safe mode with access to the internet).

Go to THIS website and download the FREE version to your desktop.   Install it and update it (important), then run a full scan.

If that doesn't help get back to me.

Let it remove anything it finds and reboot if asked to.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 16/03/11 9:39:05 EDT AM
          • 2. Re: Help!!
            ConorD62

Hi,

I have seen this on my old desktop,

It is a Hijack of Exe's, you will need to run Malwarebytes, provided by Peter below,

Also, you will need to right click it, and it should say "start" in non capitals.

Good luck.

Thanks.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Help!!

Hello Cheryl,

The malware has broken your .exe file associations; however, you will probably find that if you rename the extension to .com they will still work correctly.  what we need to do at this point is copy regedit.exe to regedit.com.  We can then run regedit, and using a guide online fix the .exe associations.  I would link you to a guide on how to do this, but I am not sure which operating system you are running and do not want to give you wrong information.

Thank you,

Charles

• 4. Re: Help!!

Hello,

All I know is I use windows vista. I have already tried system restore and unfortunately it didn't work. I will try suggestion now. Thanks for helping

• 5. Re: Help!!
                  Peter M

OK good luck.  It's essential that you are up to date as support for anything less that Service Pack 2 for Vista runs out in July so once this is sorted out please update or if you are not sure, ask someone qualified locally to help you.

See this link for news regarding support running out for Vista SP1 and under: https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1315

and this link for help with installing the latest Service Pack:: https://community.mcafee.com/thread/2019 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Help!!

Thanks so much for all your help. Laptop is up and running just fine now 

I have had a look at the link you suggested for vista service pack info, which has come in useful and I have found I have SP2.

Really thanks again much appreciated.

• 7. Re: Help!!
                      Peter M

Wonderful...take care what you click!!  ;-)