4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2011 7:45 AM by simohome

Host DLP 9.1 prevent copying to usb drive

Hello Everybody,

I am trying to implement a removable storage rule to block copying of tagged files to usb drives, yet it's not working. I managed to disable saving files to usb drive from winword.

Please can anybody tell me how to do it.

Best regards,

• 1. Re: Host DLP 9.1 prevent copying to usb drive
          shahids75

Hi,

Send your rule steps then I can answer ?

shahid

• 2. Re: Host DLP 9.1 prevent copying to usb drive

Hello

Thank you shahids75 for your answer.

In fact I had to start with the implementation first.

First I created a Removable Storage Device Rule where I defined a Device class for USB devices. I selected both options: Monitor and Notify. It's a user based policy.

Then I created a Removable Storage Protection Rule, in the application window I selected the Explorer, the tag I want to apply that rule for, then for the options, I selected block, monitor and notify. But it seems not to work.

Best regards,

• 3. Re: Host DLP 9.1 prevent copying to usb drive
              shahids75

Hello,

Removable Device rule and protection rules are different.

If you want to block USB Removable storage then you will define removable device or plug & play rules.

If you want to protect data then you need to define Removable Storage protection rule.

To block copying you have to first Tag you data like.

If you wan to block doc which contains credit cards numbers, then you have to define classification rule, select credit cards. Enable that rule.

Now create removable protection rule--> select this tagging rule in your policy and then try.

Before this you have to check that Global policy settings,  If file tracing is enabled.

Regards

Shahid

• 4. Re: Host DLP 9.1 prevent copying to usb drive

Hi Shahid,

I removed the  removable device rule, in order to test the removable storage protection rule.

Yet  the protection rule still doens't work as it is supposed. Only the save as option works successfully from the ms office application.

I still can copy tagged files to removable storage without any restriction from the mcafee dlp.

Best regards,

Simo