3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2011 4:11 PM by marzond

VirusScan 6.0.1 command line scanner fails to initialize avengine Win NT4.0sp6a

This is a first post for me so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The system is an old pc with NT4, 128m ram. I'm not in a position to replace it at this time. For what it does it works great, The command line scanner works well on another NT system with 512m ram. I have verified the system meets all of the minimum requirements for the scanner. The only language installed on the system is US english, I had read some possible reasons why I am getting this error would have been due to the folder being saved in a non ASNI format. Unless I am missing that specific detail, I'm failing to see the resolution. Thanks 

• 1. Re: VirusScan 6.0.1 command line scanner fails to initialize avengine Win NT4.0sp6a
          Hayton

This looks like it belongs in the Business section. I've picked VirusScan Other as a likely place for it to get attention.

There is a document in the Corporate KnowledgeBase you should probably read : https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB51141

According to this document there is a newer version (6.0.3) of the Command-Line Scanner. If you intend to stick with 6.0.1 you need to have Service Pack 6a installed

The release notes for 6.0.1 are here and also here (KB 67845 : important extra information). Also see the Release Notes Master List

KB 67845 contains the following note in a list of possible error messages :

ReferenceArticleDescriptions
          KB67302Issue: 
                      ERROR: Failed to initialize AVEngine (when trying to run scan.exe)

Resolution:

Please refer to the KB article for more information.

The fix for this in KB67302 appears to be as follows :

Workaround

Create the installation directory using an input language that is consistent with the default ANSI code page.

Windows 2003 and XP

1. To change the Default input language, select Regional and Language Options, Languages.
          2. Click Details.
          3. To change the Default ANSI code page, select Regional and Language Options, Advanced.
          4. Click Language for non-Unicode programs.

The details for NT4 may be slightly different.

Check that this has been done. If it still fails, you may need to uninstall 6.0.1 and re-install it or upgrade to 6.0.3

Release Notes for 6.0.3 are here

• 2. Re: VirusScan 6.0.1 command line scanner fails to initialize avengine Win NT4.0sp6a
            rackroyd

It's more likely to be the low memory footprint of this machine to be honest.

128Mb is the absolute bare minimum free memory for vscl 6.x, and of course other apps on the machine will be eating into your 128Mb memory already.

We need to load a representation of the dat files into ram, if there is not enough to do this you get this kind of error.

If there's *any* way of increasing the system memory here you should take it. Dat sizes only increase over time although we do our best to keep it to a minimum.

Unfortunately though, the threat landscape grows daily. Inevitably this means the base ram requirements for the vscl product increase too - Sorry but I suspect you're right on the borderline here.

Rgds,

Rob.

• 3. VirusScan 6.0.1 command line scanner fails to initialize avengine Win NT4.0sp6a

Thanks for the help, I was already leaning in that direction. Thanks for the confirmation. I am looking into increasing the onboard ram.

thanks again.