2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2011 11:50 AM by hoc

Need setup instruction to have user Authenticate when using our SMTP (25)

hoc

My scenario is we are trying to secure who can send (relay) using our SMPT port 25 as with most network environment we dont want everyone accessing it from our domain.

Can this be acheive base on IP ranges.

If not how can I insure if authentication is possible that our internal gateways our not block.

Let me know if anyone as an idea about this.

HoC

Email Gateway is version 6.7.2 HF5

Message was edited by: hoc on 09/03/11 10:05:47 CST AM
        • 1. Need setup instruction to have user Authenticate when using our SMTP (25)
          mcafee-com-user

Hello,

i hope i understood your question in the right way and my answer helps you....

First please check if you do not act as an open relay server.

IntrusionDefender / Mail Firewall / Configure Mail Services

Section: Relaying & Authentication

Option: Allow relaying to external domains   ==> DISABLE (check box blank)

Then you can define the internal email servers which are allowed to send email to external receipients through MEG, you find this here:

IntrusionDefender / Mail Routing / Internal

If you want to permit also external mail servers using your MEG as relay you can define them here:

IntrusionDefender / Mail Firewall / Allow Relay

For further information use the Help Function "?" in WebGUI.

• 2. Re: Need setup instruction to have user Authenticate when using our SMTP (25)
            hoc

Thanks, this was a project in progress a few months ago that got push down in priority. I more interested to find out how to get users to authenticate for sending emails SMTP.

I do have relaying disable and have my internal server in the allow relay but what I'm trying to do is to only allow, this in addition to our servers, some users to send emails but I want them to authenticate. I created a virtual and I came across the SMTPO Service Configuration that has USE OUTBOUND SMTP AUTH, but I'm uncertain in how to configure it so they can be validate using our Windows active directory or exchange. Any sugestions for me.