3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2011 9:20 PM by Jayadeep NR

Internet Security essentials

hello. My computer has recently been infected by Internet Security essentials which sends me fake alert of viruses infection. I have never done a virus removal. can anybody help? thank you.

• 1. Re: Internet Security essentials
          ConorD62

Hi,

Please do the following:

• Start > Run > Msconfig > Startup.

Please see if you can see anything you don't recognize there, and post it below.

Thanks.

• 2. Re: Internet Security essentials
            k3tg

McAfee has published a document for customers who may be experiencing issues such as yours and is very effective. I believe you have a rogue fake antivirus which is mentioned in the document.

Required Reading - Home User Assistance Malware Troubleshooting

I suggest you follow the steps suggested and run the McAfee Stinger scan to see if it finds anything. Please report back and let us know if you need further assistance.

• 3. Re: Internet Security essentials
              Jayadeep NR

Hi Pegs,

Remove the files that listed below.

• %UserProfile%\ApplicationData\Internet Security Essentials
              • %UserProfile%\ApplicationData\Internet SecurityEssentials\cookies.sqlite
              • %UserProfile%\Desktop\InternetSecurity Essentials.lnk
              • %UserProfile%\StartMenu\Internet Security Essentials.lnk
              • %UserProfile%\ApplicationData\Internet SecurityEssentials\Instructions.ini
              • %UserProfile%\StartMenu\Programs\Internet SecurityEssentials.lnk
              • %UserProfile%\ApplicationData\Microsoft\InternetExplorer\Quick Launch\Internet Security Essentials.lnk
              • C:\Documentsand Settings\All Users\ApplicationData\23077d\CB130_287.exe
              • C:\Documentsand Settings\All Users\Application Data\38gdr2\
              • C:\Documentsand Settings\All Users\Application Data\38gdr2\[SETOF RANDOM CHARACTERS].dll
              • C:\Documentsand Settings\All Users\ApplicationData\38gdr2\[SET OF RANDOM CHARACTERS].ocx
              • C:\Documentsand Settings\All Users\Application Data\SMEYFE%UserProfile%\ApplicationData\Internet Security Essentials\

%UserProfile% refersto:
              C:\Documents and Settings\[UserName] (for Windows 2000/XP)
              C:\Users\[UserName]\ (for Windows Vista & Windows 7)

Registry values:

• HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\InternetExplorer\Download"RunInvalidSignatu res" = '1'
              • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\InternetSettings"Pro xyServer" = "http=127.0.0.1:18392"
              • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"InternetSecurity Essentials"
              • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\ImageFile Execution Options "Debugger" ="svchost.exe"

Please download Malwarebytes and installation yourcomputer and scan the computer

Malwarebytes download link : http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-download.php