1 2 Previous Next 13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2011 12:46 PM by LakshmiSrinivas

Virtual Technician will not install....

I tried several times to get help through the chat & e-mail choice on the sopport website and the virtual technician program downloads and then crashes when it tries to update.  The log is as follows:

03-07-2011 09:11:13        Information    CUtility, unable to read accept langugae key for IE browser

03-07-2011 09:11:13        Information    5

03-07-2011 09:11:15        Information    got language from server

03-07-2011 09:11:15        Information    en-us

03-07-2011 09:11:16        Information    got dlgxml url from server

03-07-2011 09:11:16        Information    https://mvt.mcafee.com/mvt//strings/en-us/DlgStrings.xml

03-07-2011 09:12:00        Information    action type uninstalloldmvt

03-07-2011 09:12:00        Information    action type createfolder

03-07-2011 09:12:01        Information    action type filecopy

03-07-2011 09:12:01        Information    action type copyfolder

03-07-2011 09:12:03        Information    action type filecopy

03-07-2011 09:12:03        Information    action type createfolder

03-07-2011 09:12:03        Information    action type filecopy

03-07-2011 09:12:03        Information    action type registercomcomp

03-07-2011 09:12:04        Information    action type createregistry

03-07-2011 09:12:04        Information    action type deletefile

03-07-2011 09:12:05        Information    action type filecopy

03-07-2011 09:12:05        Information    action type createregistry

03-07-2011 09:12:05        Information    action type deletefile

03-07-2011 09:12:05        Information    action type startmenushortcut

03-07-2011 09:12:05        Information    action type beforereboottask

03-07-2011 09:12:06        Information    action type deletefolder

03-07-2011 09:12:25        Information    Falied to delete exiting task

03-07-2011 09:12:25        Information    80070002

03-07-2011 09:12:26        Information    MVT task created successfully

03-07-2011 09:12:27        Information    Closing Log Manager.

Can anyone help?

Currently Mcfee Agent will not start so I have no protection at all.  I checkedmy subscription and I am OK till October this year.

Don't know why it has stopped loading at startup and won't load at all at this point.

Thanks

Message was edited for typo by: china-mike on 3/7/11 9:13:19 PM CST
        • 1. Virtual Technician will not install....
          Peacekeeper

So did you get through to chat? If they cannot help ask to escalate to a T2 tech or higher.

I would be interested in what language your OS and IE is? Is it same as the version you are downloading for Mcafee?

Not running another AV program and sure your date and time on PC correct?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Virtual Technician will not install....

Thanks for your interest Peacekeeper.

So far McAfee has not tried to contact me and I am unable to contact them.  So much for great support!

I have Vista 64 English and everything is English, no other AV programs running at the moment but I did try AnVir when I found I had no protection from McAfee.

Does anybody know how to get in touch with McAfee since the Virtual Technician crashes when it tries to automatically update?

Thanks,

Mike

• 3. Virtual Technician will not install....
              Raghavendra

Hi Mike,

It seems like you have older version of MVT. Please try below steps:

1. Close any MVT running

2. Go to add/remove programs and uninstall 'McAfee Virtual Technician'

3. Once uninstallation is successful, go to %programfiles%\Mcafee\Supportability, make sure there is nothing in it

4. Then try installing latest version from, mvt.mcafee.com, site.

Thanks

Raghavendra

• 4. Virtual Technician will not install....

Hi Raghavendra,

Tried it but the same result.  Something on my machine is shutting off McAfee and not allowing it to restart or not allowing any McAfee product to run.  Hope this isn't a virus doing all this.

I can see McAfee load on startup but the shield icon disappears about 1/2 way through.

Still waiting dor an answer from McAfee or another person with good ideas.  I'm about ready to try a full uninstall of McAfee and tryy a reinstall.

Thanks anyway,

Mike

• 5. Virtual Technician will not install....
                  Peacekeeper

If you do a full uninstall follow method hre

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

reboot then run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

You can do a check for malwrare

If you think you have a virus infection on your PC do one or both of the following :

- Run the free Mcafee Stinger program from http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ -

set it to Report Mode (in Preferences) and post the logs of anything it detects.( set it to very high sensitivity)

- Join the McAfee Getsusp group at https://community.mcafee.com/groups/getsusp30-beta-feedback

You will have to ask there for Getsusp, which is a Beta program and not yet on general release.

Download here latest version https://community.mcafee.com/message/161182#161182

Before you use Getsusp, you should go to this document

https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1323

and download the PDF file explaining what Getsusp is and how it works, and this document

https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1761

which downloads the installation guide PDF document.

If you want a second opinion, or to be on the safe side, then you can do a scan with the free versions of these tools :

Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Virtual Technician will not install....

Thanks again Tony,

I followed your instructions and here is the log from Stinger.  What is the Artemis virus?

Also, GetSusp only works for 32 bit systems.  What about my 64 bit system?  Is this the Stinger program?

McAfee Customer Service could not help and the only wat to reach Tech Service is through MVT that won't run.  They need to fix that!

McAfee(r) Labs Stinger(tm) Version 10.1.0.1426 built on Mar  3 2011

Copyright (c) 2011 McAfee, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Virus data file v1000.0000 created on Mar 3 2011.

Ready to scan for 2239 viruses, trojans and variants.

Scan initiated on Tue Mar 08 12:56:31 2011

C:\Files and Data\Received Files\writing_tips.zip\Writing_Tips.exe

Found the Artemis!0DC791194DFE trojan !!!

C:\Files and Data\Received Files\writing_tips.zip\Writing_Tips.exe is infected with the Artemis!0DC791194DFE virus !!!

C:\Files and Data\Received Files\writing_tips.zip\Writing_Tips.exe has been deleted.

C:\PDF2JPG\skinh_vb6.dll

Found the Artemis!A5BB013C132F trojan !!!

C:\PDF2JPG\skinh_vb6.dll is infected with the Artemis!A5BB013C132F virus !!!

C:\PDF2JPG\skinh_vb6.dll has been deleted.

C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil10m_ActiveX.exe

Found the FakeAlert!fakealert-REP trojan !!!

C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil10m_ActiveX.exe is infected with the FakeAlert!fakealert-REP virus !!!

C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil10m_ActiveX.exe could not be repaired.

C:\WIO31S\UPDATE.EXE

Found the Artemis!79DC9329D821 trojan !!!

C:\WIO31S\UPDATE.EXE is infected with the Artemis!79DC9329D821 virus !!!

C:\WIO31S\UPDATE.EXE has been deleted.

Number of clean files: 974794

Number of infected files: 4

Number of files cleaned: 3

• 7. Virtual Technician will not install....

McAfee Total Protection loaded correctly and I'm doing a full scan as I write this.

Thanks Tony (Peacekeeper), your advice led me in the right direction and ultimately to the solution.  What the cause was, I will never know.

I notice you are using the 5.0 beta version on a 64 bit machine.  Mine is Vista 64.  What are your recomendations about the 5.0 version of McAfee Total Protection on a 64 bit machine .........  and your impressions of Win 7 64 bit?   I've been thinking about upgrading since Vista is so buggy. 

Thanks again!

Mike

• 8. Virtual Technician will not install....
                        Peacekeeper

What dat are you on ? Should be 6278 or so.

Win 7 64 stable and rarely an issue anywhere. I like it.

Getsusp works on my 64bit OS.

You need to get rid of the fake alert 1 that could not be deleted maybe try the malwarebytes link I gave you it is safe to use.

Beta 5.0 interesting has some interesting additions and some current problems. Still it is a beta but I am happy using it.

• 9. Virtual Technician will not install....

Hi again Tony,

I don't know what you mean about  "What dat are you on ? Should be 6278 or so."

I thought GetSusp only checked the Progran Files and not the Program Files (x86) folder.  Here is what it says:

"In the 64 bit platform it is run as 32bit compatible mode and scans only 32 bit application processes that are running and collects only the 32 bit binaries. "

Does this mean it misses the 64 bit files?

95% of the way through with the McAfee Scan and no findings thus far.  Got my fingers crossed.

I uninstalled the PDF2JPG program and will run malwarebytes scan after McAfee finishes.  Then I will run stinger again.

Thanks for your help!

Mike

1 2 Previous Next