1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 7, 2011 8:11 AM by JaiPrakash

Security Suite wont update, and now won't reinstall.

My problem started a few days ago, when the security suite I get from my cable provider through McAfee will not update the virus protection list.

I tried to manually update it to no avail. I then uninstalled the product and have tried repeatedly to reinstall it. I either get a "either your not on the internet, or the servers are not responding error", or I just get, "The product could not install you can, retry, call support or use the technician".

I was on chat with customer support for two hours yesterday. After deleting my host file, resetting all my internet browswer settings, and accepting multiple licenses without asking me, they could not seem to find a solution.

The "Level 2 Technician" in the end told me it was because I have "so many DCOM errors in my log" and I should contact Dell. After spending a little while looking at the errors in my logs, they seem to come back to McAfee not working.....

Any suggestions or experience with this issue?

I am running Windows XP on a Dell XPS410.

I don't do much on this machine, just play wow and us MS products for work.

Thanks for any input.

Have a great weekend.

-Kalthia

DCOM:

Unable to start a DCOM Server: {3A65891C-3794-43E5-89C8-20CCD19902CE}. The error:

"The system cannot find the path specified. "

Happened while starting this command:

"C:\Program Files\McAfee\Supportability\MVT\MvtApp.exe" -Embedding

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

• 1. Security Suite wont update, and now won't reinstall.
          JaiPrakash

Hi Kalthia,

After going through your case logs we found there are few issues with your Operating system due to which, the McAfee product is getting fail to install. So, kindly let us know whether you have contacted the DELL technical support as per the suggestion of the Tier 2 Technicians to check what the issue with the operating system is?

If not kindly contact them and let us know the outcome to proceed further.