2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2011 7:43 AM by okv

McAfee Anti-Spam Folder vs. Outlook Junk E-mail Folder

I recently purchased a new Dell computer with McAfee Security Center.
      Windows 7 64-bit Professional.
      Office 2010, including Outlook 2010.

Question:
      Most of my spam e-mails end up in Outlook's Junk E-mail folder. A few spam e-mails end up in the McAfee Anti-Spam folder. How is it determined which spam e-mails go into which of these folders?

Nearly all of the spam e-mails in Outlook's Junk E-mail folder have the McAfee "[SPAM]" label, so it seems that McAfee is processing these e-mails, but they still end up in Outlook's Junk E-mail folder rather than the McAfee Anti-Spam folder.

I have many rules in Outlook, imported from my old computer, so I am sure this has something to do with it.

What I would prefer is that all spam e-mails would end up in just one of these folders. Is there a way to configure McAfee so that ALL spam goes into one folder?

- Jeff

• 1. Re: McAfee Anti-Spam Folder vs. Outlook Junk E-mail Folder

I haven't cracked the "Import" code yet (I don't even see "Outlook" in the list of email clients in the pulldown list); however, I did discover that if you <rt-click> on an inbox message that is marked [SPAM], you find an option - "McAfee Anti-Spam", that further allows you to "Add Friend".  This seems to work, because if you set an email address as "Add Friend", then it shows up in your McAfee Friends list.

Message was edited by: fayl on 7/12/11 10:51:33 AM CDT
          • 2. Re: McAfee Anti-Spam Folder vs. Outlook Junk E-mail Folder
            okv

You have [SPAM] tag because McAfee scans your POP3 traffic before it arrives to Outlook.

But once messages reach Outlook, MS junk filter has priority over any other 3-party ones.

You can turn off one of the filters and see which one you like the best.

to adjust MS junk options:

In Mail, on the Home tab, in the Delete group, click Junk, and then click Junk E-mail Options.

to adjust McAfee filtering go to:

Security Center/Navigation/Anti-Spam.