Skip navigation
McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
1611 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: May 5, 2011 11:10 AM by Hayton RSS
Hayton Volunteer Moderator 4,602 posts since
Sep 27, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 2, 2011 12:11 PM

No autosave when in edit mode?

Two questions here, both about being in Edit mode.

I was writing a reply to a post about a website with a SiteAdvisor yellow warning. I was almost done, a few seconds away from posting. During the creation of these replies I frequently switch tabs or windows to check facts or get extra information. In IE especially having more than three tabs open on this site still causes performance problems; partly down to IE's memory-hungry approach to browsing, still partly because of unresponsiveness caused by (javascript?) somewhere on the page.

On this occasion I attempted to switch tabs to Google something, clicked on the Home icon, came back to the reply tab ... and found that Google was running in that tab. Okay, probably my fault for running ahead of myself. But when I went back to the thread, the reply had not been sent (I didn't think it would), and clicking on Reply opened a fresh Edit window - meaning the previously-entered text was lost.

Now, first question : during editing, Jive used to autosave. If the edit failed there was always a saved copy that you could recover and use. Not this time though. Has that useful facility been withdrawn in the upgrade?

Second : I may be wrong on this, but I thought that before, if an attempt was made to navigate away from an open edit window, there would be a pop-up message saying "Do you want to navigate away?". Or am I recalling a facility from some other site?

Either way, having both of the above safeguards would be useful. I have to reconstruct that reply from scratch, and I can't remember some of the detail that I had included.

Volunteer Moderator  Leeds, UK
No PM's please

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points