1 2 Previous Next 13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2011 11:22 PM by Hayton

Desperate for help

Hello I am new to this site but I really do need some help I believe the computer I work on has a virus or something. I have run Mcafee quick scan and full scan and comes back with nothing but the computer is running slowly windows dont want to open at the right size and when I'm online it sounds like a jet engine trying to take off. This also happen to be my bosses work computer and even his programs for work are starting to act funny. HELP ME PLEASE!

• 1. Re: Desperate for help
          Dinz

Hi lisa ,

Please follow this document and follow the procedures to run a stinger scan & let’s check if the report comes back with any infections ???

Required Reading - Home User Assistance Malware Troubleshooting

Regards,

• 2. Re: Desperate for help
            Hayton

Hi Dinz,

Did I understand the OP right? The McAfee scans show no problems but this work computer is making a sound "like a jet engine"? That sounds very much like a hardware problem, don't you think? A faulty cooling fan or disk drive, at a guess. My advice would probably be to check those first, and then the software. Unless this is something to do with the audio circuits ... about which I know too little to offer any advice.

• 3. Re: Desperate for help
              Peacekeeper

Jet engine can also be a cd in the cdrom/dvd drive they spin fast when being accessed as well.

Maybe also do a ctl+alt+del and open the taskmanager and report on cpu usage...

• 4. Re: Desperate for help

Sorry for the delay in reply been out of work sick.

Like I first stated I am not computer savy so I know nothing about running a computer in safe mode or anything and if I mess this computer up worse then my boss cant work!

No CD in the system running Vista home edition the work program is Sign Wizard and of course the computer is connected to the internet AOL and Cox is the source for internet . I'm at a stand still since I dont know what the flip I'm doing. I just know there something wrong and I am willing to try to fix it you just have to be patient with me as this process will be baby steps.

Thanks

• 5. Desperate for help
                  thecreator

Lisa Black wrote:

Sorry for the delay in reply been out of work sick.

Like I first stated I am not computer savy so I know nothing about running a computer in safe mode or anything and if I mess this computer up worse then my boss cant work!

No CD in the system running Vista home edition the work program is Sign Wizard and of course the computer is connected to the internet AOL and Cox is the source for internet . I'm at a stand still since I dont know what the flip I'm doing. I just know there something wrong and I am willing to try to fix it you just have to be patient with me as this process will be baby steps.

Thanks

Hi Lisa,

Before McAfee was installed, what protection packages, besides Windows Defender is installed on the computer? Is this a Desktop or Laptop Computer?

Which McAfee Protection Package is installed? If you don't know, ask your Boss.

I am not there, is the reason for the questions, in order to understand what is happening and to help.

If it was your Computer, I would tell you, the best way to get to know your computer, is to Reformat and Reinstall the operating system's partition from scratch.

• 6. Re: Desperate for help
                    Peacekeeper
                    Maybe also do a ctl+alt+del and open the taskmanager and report on cpu usage...

When the slow down or noise happens hit the ctl alt del keys at once and the task manager will appear. Click on cpu heading and see what the cpu maximum usage is.

• 7. Re: Desperate for help

This is a desktop computer and to my knowledge its always had mcafee on it I dont think he even uses windows defender just mcafee and as far as him knowing anything he doesnt he knows how to turn the computer on and turn it off if it doesnt do what he wants it to do. Is there a way to find out which mcafee is installed on here? I am not trying to be difficult I just dont know anything about computers.

Thanks

• 8. Re: Desperate for help
                        thecreator

Lisa Black wrote:

This is a desktop computer and to my knowledge its always had mcafee on it I dont think he even uses windows defender just mcafee and as far as him knowing anything he doesnt he knows how to turn the computer on and turn it off if it doesnt do what he wants it to do. Is there a way to find out which mcafee is installed on here? I am not trying to be difficult I just dont know anything about computers.

Thanks

Hi Lisa Black,

Open McAfee Security Center and click on About. It will list what McAfee Programs are installed.

• 9. Re: Desperate for help

please email me at this address  Email address removed since user could be spammed                           

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/03/11 8:15:37 EST PM

Message was edited by: Dinz for user safety  on 3/7/11 3:40:14 PM GMT-06:00
                          1 2 Previous Next