4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2011 1:55 PM by murrayac

full scan error

Hi,

I keep trying to run a full scan, but keep recieving error message: 'An unexpected problem occured during your scan' and says to go back to homepage to try again, but everytime i try again i get the same error. It also says real time scanning is off, and computer is at risk, and i can't seem to switch this on. Any one else had this problem and how to fix it? I am using windows 7 and have Mcafee total protection.

Thanks in advance

Angela

• 1. Re: full scan error
          ConorD62

Hi,

Run the McAfee Virtual Technician from HERE.

Thanks.

• 2. Re: full scan error
            Dinz

Hi Angela,

If at all the Real tine scanner is not turned on; you wont be able to initiate a scan in McAfee. So we will have to enable Real time scanner - To do that please run McAfee virtual technician from here : http://mvt.mcafee.com  which is an automated tool that would diagnose and fix any problem with McAfee. Do remember to post your session id .

If the real time scanner is stil disabled, please let us some of the below information ;

What is the operating system of the computer ?
            Do you use any other security  software in teh machine ?
            Did you perform any system restore in the machine ?

Do you have any virus pop ups/alerts in the machine

Please update us on the status and we will help you proceed further witht this.

Thanks,

• 3. Re: full scan error

Hi Angela

I am also having the same problem but on a Windows XP machine. Prior to my problem I regularly get Mcafee updates and run full scans no problem. Last Sunday I was the victim of a virus which prevented any user action after boot up. Mcafee did not appear to stop it infecting my pc in the first place (I am surprised). I rebooted in safe mode and eventually removed the virus using another (free download) antivirus package. I can now do a normal reboot but the Mcafee full scan consistently fails (quick scan is ok). I ran virtual technician but it was clean. I suspect that there is a conflict between Mcafee and the new installed package (see doc id TS100903). My dilemma appears to be that my new antivirus package works, where Mcafee does not. Do I renew my subscription next time?

Not much help but you are not alone.

Chris.

PS Correct doc ref is TS100376

Message was edited by: major_tom on 02/03/11 06:19:28 CST
              • 4. Re: full scan error

Hi,

Running the virtual technician did the job and fixed it! Thanks to everyone for their help!

Angela