6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2011 12:08 PM by JaiPrakash

Help required with McAffe anti theft download

Hi guys.  I recently bough an online version of McAffee total protection for my home PC which came with a bonus download called anti-theft.  I have set up the main McAfee protection without any problems but the seperate download link that I was provided for the free bonus anti theft portion of the product is giving me problems.  I click on the link provided and download it to my computer ok at which point I have a shortcut to it on my desktop.  When I click on this though and the wizard comes up to start the set up process I receive an error message saying "McAfee anti-theft can't be installed on windows XP/Vista x64".  I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium though not Vista or XP so I can't understand why I am getting that error message.  Does anyone have any ideas?  Thank you. 

• 1. Help required with McAffe anti theft download
          JaiPrakash

Hi,

Please confirm the below Properties details of the McAfee Anti-theft.

You will be able to view the properties details by right clicking the McAfee Anti-Theft icon on the desktop.

(Navigation: Right Click McAfee Anti-Theft icon > Single Left Click Properties in the bottom)

Let me know the following details:-

Under General Tab:-

Type of file:

Description:

Under Version Tab:-

File Version:

Description:

Under Compatibility Tab:-

• Let me know if the compatibility mode is checked? If checked, let me know for what operating system is selected?

• Also select change settings for all users in the same screen on the bottom and verify if compatibility mode is checked? If checked, let me know for what operating system is selected?
          • 2. Help required with McAffe anti theft download

Thanks for the reply.  The information requested is below. 

Under General Tab:-

Type of file: Application (.exe)

Description: mat_1.0.25.8

Under Version Tab:-

I don't seem to have a 'Versions' tab but I do have a 'Previous Versions' tab.  In here though it just says that there are no previous versions available. 

Under Compatability Tab:-

Compatability mode is checked and it is set for Windows Vista.  It looks to be a drop down box but is is kind of greyed out and I can't alter it. 

Under the 'Change settings for all users' section the box is checked and again it is set to Windows Vista.  This one doesn't seem to be greyed out though so I could probably change it if needed.  I haven't done so yet though.  

• 3. Help required with McAffe anti theft download

Hi JaiPrakash. I posted up the information you requested but have yet to hear back from you.  Any ideas as to what the problem could be?  Any help would be appreciated. 

• 4. Re: Help required with McAffe anti theft download
                JaiPrakash

Hi,

Please do apologies for the delayed response.

As you said, “Compatibility mode is checked and it is set for Windows Vista.” If this is the case, if your operating system is not Windows Vista then, Uncheck the Box beside and Run the setup file. Else let me know what is your windows operating system?

I would also like to inform you that the latest build/version of the setup file for Anti-theft is mat_1.5.101.3 and yours is mat_1.0.25.8. So, let me know, when did you received the bonus download link for Anti-theft and how many months/years of validitiy it has?

If yours is just valid only for 30 days then you can very well register a new version of Anti-theft with your e-mail address and you can install that one.

Message was edited by: JaiPrakash on 3/1/11 12:08:09 PM CST
                • 5. Help required with McAffe anti theft download

Thanks for the reply.  My computer has Windows 7 Home Premium. 

I couldn't uncheck the box in the compatability mode under the compatability tab as it was greyed out and I was unable to select it.  I could alter the compatability mode for the 'change settings for all users' section though but when I unchecked the box here and clicked ok to go back to the previous section the compatability mode section here had automatically changed to Window XP Service pack 3.  I'm not sure why it changed to that seeing that I am not on XP.  I tried to run the program after making that change anyway but it still didn't work. 

I then tried going back to the 'change settings for all users' section of the compatability tab and changed this to Windows 7 (seeing as that is what I have).  when I did this and hit 'ok' I was able to change the previosly greyerd out box on the first compatability tab screen so I changed that to Windowsw 7 as well.  The program still gave me the same error message though when I tried to run it even after making this change which I was hopefull would rectify things.  I know that all probably sounds confusing but hopefully you make sense of it. 

I bought the McAfee Total Protection last Wednesday and it lasts for a year running out on the 23rd of February 2012 so I assume that the bonus anti-theft download also has just under a year left on it at this point. 

• 6. Help required with McAffe anti theft download
                    JaiPrakash

Hi,

I think you can contact our technical support for further assistance with respect to the Anti-Theft Bonus link to ensure whether it was properly registered into your account, so that you can download it from your account.

Please use the below link to chat with one of our McAfee Technical Support executive.

http://service.mcafee.com/LocaleSelect.aspx?lc=1033&sg=TS&pt=1&st=CHAT