Skip navigation
McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
1507 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 25, 2011 4:07 PM by Hayton RSS
Hayton Volunteer Moderator 4,602 posts since
Sep 27, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 22, 2011 11:56 PM

W3C Validation output for Security Awareness page

Volunteer Moderator  Leeds, UK
No PM's please
  • April Jacobs McAfee Employee 1,516 posts since
    Nov 1, 2009
    1. Feb 25, 2011 11:31 AM (in response to Hayton)

Hi Hayton,

Apologies for not telling you that I had created a case for this (and all your CSS / W3C / HTTPS thrads) a couple days ago. Below is the response:

Hi April,

Webpage css warning messages in Firefox

These CSS warnings are not a problem.  We include some CSS properties that are only compatible with some browsers (such as border-radius).  Browsers that support them will render the CSS, and others will ignore the properties.  This is very common practice in building complex web pages and is not a threat to the performance or stability of the site.

W3C Validation output - Community Help page

W3C Validation output - Home & Home Office page

It is true that our pages do not pass W3C validations.  It appears that one of the main causes of this is because we do not comment out our JavaScript with HTML comment tags.  This is an old practice used to support very old browsers (pre-Netscape 4), which Jive does not support.  Some of the other issues are legitimate issues that we should clean up.  That said, these issues do not appear to be causing any actual browser side effects.  I will work through these warnings and file bugs for issues that I can reproduce and see as real issues.

https connection not secure according to Firefox?

I will follow up with our hosting team on this issue as they are more well versed in these types of issues.

Thanks,

xxx

I carefully looked through all of the W3C validation issues.  Of all of them, the only issue I saw that qualified as a bug was JIVE-3395.  We include two tags with the same id value on the home page.  This is invalid HTML that has potential to cause conflicts with JavaScript.  I was not able to find any actual side effects from this bug.

As mentioned before, the majority of the HTML warnings listed were caused by the JavaScript code not being properly escaped to support very old browers.  Since we do not support these browsers, it does not qualify as a bug in Jive.  There were a number of other warnings listed regarding the use of invalid (made up) attribute names for HTML elements.  This is common practice in the Jive code base (and across the web).  We use this technique to assign special attributes to HTML elements which can be later be read by JavaScript.  This technique does result in technically invalid HTML, but it does not actually cause any conflicts for web browsers rendering the page.

One of the helpful checks posted was regarding broken links.  The Link Checker found that the first announcement in the Security Awareness, Home, and Help spaces include a link to the space Community Interface Feedback which does not actually exist.  This announcement should be updated with a correct link.

Let me know if you have questions about the details above.

I am goingto forward this case on to our hosting team to address the concerns with using RFC 5746 for SSL.

Let me know if this is enough info for you or sufficiently explains things.

• Peacekeeper Volunteer Moderator 21,357 posts since
    Nov 23, 2002
    3. Feb 25, 2011 3:01 PM (in response to Hayton)

April maybe you need to remote into Peter's PC and see this happening?

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mcafee Total Protection 7.0 beta, Windows 8 64bit
    No Unrequested PMs please
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)