9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2011 3:09 PM by sephstorm

Hacked hard drive

I made the mistake of opening a link to a jpeg on flickr from someone I thought I knew from a social network site.  Within ten seconds of the jpeg opening the C drive screen opened and a horizontal bar was moving from left to right.  It appeared someone was trying to copy my hard drive.  Within 10-15 seconds I manually shut down my PC and disconnected the internet cable.   I rebooted,  ran a scan and it was clean.   Is it possible that they could have pulled anything off of my hard drive even though the horizontal bar was only half complete? 

Thank you

• 1. Hacked hard drive

sounds like someone was trying to prank you man lol. Can you send me the link to it?

• 2. Hacked hard drive
            Peter M

bedada wrote:

I made the mistake of opening a link to a jpeg on flickr from someone I thought I knew from a social network site.  Within ten seconds of the jpeg opening the C drive screen opened and a horizontal bar was moving from left to right.  It appeared someone was trying to copy my hard drive.  Within 10-15 seconds I manually shut down my PC and disconnected the internet cable.   I rebooted,  ran a scan and it was clean.   Is it possible that they could have pulled anything off of my hard drive even though the horizontal bar was only half complete? 

Thank you

Don't send malware through the email system.  raiokusensei you should know better than to ask that.

You may have accidentally clicked on one of these fake anti-malware things.

Download, update and run the free version of this tool, let it remove anything it finds and reboot if asked to.

If you are getting popups try to note what they say and Google that as often there are easy cures out there.

• 3. Hacked hard drive
              Peter M

Discussion moved from Personal Firewall 11 - 2010 to Home User Assistance for better attention.

• 4. Hacked hard drive

sorry man thought it was a prank animated gif. My buds do it to me sometimes.

• 5. Hacked hard drive

This was not a joke and I did not click on any popup.  I opened a link to a flickr jpeg and the my computer screen, which shows my C drive popped up. A bar appeared and it was going from left to right as if something was being downloaded.  Maybe it was trying to install a virus or malware.  I figured they were trying to access my C drive.  I thought a firewall protects this from happening.  I disconnected the PC before the bar was complete.  I'll ask again because even the Mcafee chat reps have no idea.  Can someone pull information off your hard drive in a 10-15 second range?

Thank you

• 6. Re: Hacked hard drive
                    Peter M

It's possible I suppose but unlikely.  You probably prevented anything from happening.

There are Hijackthis forums that can help with this sort of thing, see the lower part of this document:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2168

Even the best firewalls can't stop a determined hacker, witness news items about Government computers being hacked.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 23/02/11 9:40:58 EST AM
                    • 7. Re: Hacked hard drive

From Flickr? Flickr then has a problem as well. If you can access the same url from another computer which has nothing and which you can format in a few minutes or from say a Nintendo DSi or something, you can check. If your "friend" is showing strange behavior, then that's your best indication. If the hacker has serious skills, you can't be certain how much or if anything was taken.

It also seems that you mixed the order of operation. It's manually disconnect from the Internet THEN shut down the computer if something wrong continues.

Please also describe how the attack looked with more detail. How close was the bar from reaching the end and why didn't you realize this sooner? 10-15 seconds is enough time for most to assess a situation in considerable detail.

• 8. Hacked hard drive

Alien, thank you for the reply.  About 5-10 seconds after I opened the flickr picture I saw the "my computer screen" popup and all I remember was a horizontal bar going left to right.  I reacted after about 3 seconds, but it took about another 5-7 seconds for my pc to manually shutdown.   I've never seen anything like it before. 

• 9. Hacked hard drive

FYI, in the future, you shouldnt nessesarily shut down the affected machine. Just like some windows updates require you to restart your computer to complete installation, some malware requires it as well. Disconnect  the network cable, scan your computer with updated, trusted sofeware.

Based on what you described, it sounds as though you recieved a malicious link. Did you recieve the link through flickr, or email or what? Did it turn out to be from "your friend", or did you just think it was someone you knew?

In the future, if you get something you think is from a friend, contact them through a seperate trusted medium and find out if they sent it. I.e, if they sent you an email, call them or ask them on Facebook if they sent it. Don't open it until you get confirmation.