1 2 3 4 Previous Next 30 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2011 9:07 PM by pschmehl

Does anyone know how to kill Windows Defender dead?

pschmehl

Jeez this is irritating.  On Windows 7 it appears that Windows Defender is running by default.  Because it is, VirusScan Enterprise will not install.  Killing the process does nothing.  Trying to do a commandline install that disables it does nothing.  The only thing that seems to work is manually installing VSE 8.7.  When you do that, a popup asks you if you want to disable Defender.

Surely there's an automated way to do this?

• 1. Re: Does anyone know how to kill Windows Defender dead?
          Peter M

Being a Consumer Moderator I'm afraid I have no idea how to do this on a multi-machine scale but here's how to turn it on and off in an individual machine.

That said I understood that installing any kind of McAfee protection usually disabled it in any case, I could be wrong.

Windows Defender Real-Time Protection - Turn On or Off

Maybe someone will come along with an idea for doing it on a major scale.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 16/02/11 7:57:37 EST PM
          • 2. Does anyone know how to kill Windows Defender dead?
            pschmehl

That doesn't do a bit of good with VirusScan Enterprise.  I've tried disabling Defender that way and then waking up the agent.  The install still fails.  The only thing I've found that works is to do a local manual install of VSE 8.7, which immediately prompts to to remove Defender.  As you can imagine, when you have hundreds of machines, this is more than a little impractical.

• 3. Does anyone know how to kill Windows Defender dead?
              Peter M

I have a feeling there is something else at play from a search through business, but I will await the ideas from the experts.

• 4. Does anyone know how to kill Windows Defender dead?

Moved this thread to our VirusScan Enterprise area for better attention.

• 5. Does anyone know how to kill Windows Defender dead?

"msiexec /uninstall windowsdefender.msi /quiet /log uninstall.log"

That should uninstall Windows Defender.  If this is a 64-bit os you may have to use windowsdefenderx64.msi in the command line.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Does anyone know how to kill Windows Defender dead?
                    pschmehl

Thanks.  That's helpful.

This is what I have so far - I need to add more intelligence to it, but this should work.

REM Remove Windows Defender because it interferes with VSE

REM Wait until Defender is removed to do the agent install

if %PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE%==AMD64

start /wait cmd /C "msiexec /uninstall windowsdefenderx64.msi /quiet /log uninstall.log"

else

start /wait cmd /C "msiexec /uninstall windowsdefender.msi /quiet /log uninstall.log"

REM Force the install of the agent

setup.exe /forceinstall /install=agent

(setup.exe is just framepkg.exe renamed, because Windows 7 doesn't like framepkg.exe but will run setup.exe)

Message was edited by: Paul Schmehl on 2/17/11 4:35:26 PM CST

Message was edited by: Paul Schmehl on 2/17/11 4:36:27 PM CST
                    • 7. Re: Does anyone know how to kill Windows Defender dead?
                      pschmehl

After much Googling and utter frustration, I STILL have not found a way to kill this dern thing.  My testing has shown that msiexec /uninstall windowsdefender.msi fails utterly.  I cannot find an uninstall string in the registry.  I haven't found a single site with a worthwhile answer for enterprise-level uninstall.   (Imagine remoting in to hundreds of machines to manually disable Windows Defender - like that's going to happen in my lifetime.)  This is ridiculous.  There has to be a way to kill this thing dead without having to do it manually.

I'm using strings to search MSASCui.exe to see if there's anything useful in there.

Thanks a lot, Microsoft!

• 8. Re: Does anyone know how to kill Windows Defender dead?
                        Peter M

It isn't an uninstallable feature of Windows as far as my further research has found.  All you can do is disable it in either Services.msc or in the UI itself.

However, it shouldn't be preventing VSE from installing.  Contact support.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 22/02/11 4:00:21 EST PM
                        • 9. Re: Does anyone know how to kill Windows Defender dead?
                          pschmehl

The problem is that disabling Defender in the UI or stopping the service does NOT solve the problem.  VSE 8.7 still does not install.  When you run the installer manually, you get prompted to "remove" Windows Defender, after which the install proceeds normally.  So what is McAfee doing in that step that is different from either stopping the service or disabling it in the UI or both?  (Cause I've tried both, unsuccessfully.)  McAfee is changing something that allows the VSE install to proceed that doesn't get changed when you disable or stop.  I'm starting to think seriously about ripping McAfee out and installing someone else's product now.  And we've been McAfee customers for 13 years.

Message was edited by: pschmehl on 2/22/11 3:15:15 PM CST

Message was edited by: pschmehl on 2/22/11 3:16:21 PM CST
                          1 2 3 4 Previous Next