3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2011 5:20 AM by JoeBidgood

Imaged PC would goto Lost&Found group with duplicated entry

I am using ePO 4.5 Patch 3. We've imported the AD computer tree to the ePO. If we deployed the agent by push install or manual install using .exe file, those PC can remain in the group which is the same as that of AD.

However, for those imaged PC, they would goto the Lost&Found group (with full detail in managed mode) automatically and there would be another duplicate entry (without full detail and in unmanaged mode) in the computer tree.

All of our imaged PC is using Mcafee Agent 4.5 Patch 1 with WinXP. We've removed the Agent GUID & MacAddress registry key before we deploy the PC image.

Is there any way to eliminate the duplicate entry for those imaged PC in the Lost&Found group and only keep the entry in the computer tree (that is imported from AD) in managed mode?

THX a lot!

Alex Hung

• 1. Re: Imaged PC would goto Lost&Found group with duplicated entry
          JoeBidgood

What's happening here is that, when the machine first communicates with ePO, the server tries to work out where to put the machine. If the machine is ending up in the lost and found group, it means that ePO is not able to match the location in the tree where the existing entry is.

It sounds like you need to set up some sorting rules for your groups, for example based on IP address.  Please see the "How a system is first placed in the system tree" section of the ePO product guide for more details.

HTH -

Joe

• 2. Re: Imaged PC would goto Lost&Found group with duplicated entry

Joe,

Thank you very much for your information.

But I just wonder why there's no problem if I installed the agent manually using .exe file. In this case, those PC can remain in the group which is the same as that of AD. And there's no duplicate entry arise.

Alex Hung

• 3. Re: Imaged PC would goto Lost&Found group with duplicated entry
              JoeBidgood

That's very strange, I admit - from ePO's point of view, there's absolutely no difference between a machine that is imaged (and has its AgentGUID removed) and a machine that has a "new" agent installed manually. The first time either of them communicate with the server, they have a brand new GUID, and the server applies the same process to determine where to place the machine in the tree.

I can't explain that behaviour at the moment     Are the imaged machines in a different domain to the manually-installed machines, by any chance?

Thanks -

Joe