1 2 3 Previous Next 46 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2011 3:30 PM by gadgetguydk

Why does this happen.  Page loads only to the left...

jont717

See pictur:

yahoo.png

This happen when users first open IE and Yahoo is set as their Homepage to load first.  When they close IE and restart it, it loads fine. Or if they click the refresh button....

Using Web Gateway 7.0.2.2 in WCCP mode with NTLM authentication.

• 1. Re: Why does this happen.  Page loads only to the left...

I have the same issue with all sorts of various pages.  Same version, direct proxy, NTLM auth.  Complaints about this all the time - an answer would be nice.

Steve

• 2. Re: Why does this happen.  Page loads only to the left...
            Jon Scholten

That just tells me something is getting blocked (perhaps you are blocking "content servers" category), what do you see in the logs?

Or perhaps it is caching the main yahoo page, instead of requesting it from the Web, and the content is being authenticated?

I could speculate into the rules, but a wireshark capture would say for certain.

~Jon

• 3. Re: Why does this happen.  Page loads only to the left...
              jont717

I do believe it has something to do with authentication. If you have a different home page set to open first and then go to www.yahoo.com, it loads fine.  If I don't use the Internet for awhile, and then open IE first to www.yahoo.com , this is when it happens.  I click refresh and the page loads fine, probably because of re-authentication.

I did try clearing the Cache but not sure if it works.  I clicked "Flush Cache"  but it does not seem to do anything.  When I am on the Dashboard and click on Web Cache, the graphs never drop.  It looks like it still says the Cache is the same.

Is there a way to clear the web cache using command line? (Putty - SSH)

I cannot think of anything I can do to solve this problem.  Obviously this must be happening to other MWG users as well.

• 4. Re: Why does this happen.  Page loads only to the left...
                jont717

Steve,

So you are using proxy settings in browsers and still have this happen? 

Anything you found to help fix it? 

• 5. Re: Why does this happen.  Page loads only to the left...

I'm using WPAD via DNS, which is just a user-friendly way of deploying direct-proxy.  This issue occurs at random, with any slew of various mainstream websites... dell, nfl, espn,  yahoo, msn, foxnews.  The problem, at least in my environment, does not seem block or authentication related.  For example, all aspects of dells website load fine, function fine, and typically work without issue.  Yesterday, while navigating Dells website, this issue occurred multiple times.  Upon multiple refreshes the page then loaded normally.  Authentication wouldn't make sense in my case either, since I'm actively browsing the net and the page has been authenticated previously.

It almost appears that the content that is loaded incorrectly is the content that is not in cache - text that changes, etc.  The content that would seem to be cacheable - backgrounds, pics, formatting, etc - seems to never get loaded until after a refreshed or multiple refreshes.

The issue occurs so randomly it is difficult to obtain a capture of it.  I also tend to think it had something to do with load, since thus far, nobody can relate to ever seeing this except a couple people running this rev. in full prod under decent to heavy load.

I'll keep trying to recreate the problem and grab a capture if I can.

Steve

• 6. Re: Why does this happen.  Page loads only to the left...

Just as a test, try chaning this registry key to 0.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings

Value: EnableAutoproxyResultCache

Type: REG_DWORD

Data value: 0 = disable caching; 1 (or key not present) = enable automatic proxy caching (this is the default behavior)

There is an old, insidious bug in XP that can result in strange behaviour when using a PAC/WPAD file.

I'd like to see if this helps you. It may or it may not, but want to check.

• 7. Re: Why does this happen.  Page loads only to the left...
                      jont717

But this happens in both transparent and direct mode.  I am still getting this today..

• 8. Re: Why does this happen.  Page loads only to the left...

Thanks Erik.  Do you know if the bug come through in Windows 7 as well?  That's the OS I've experienced it on personally.

Thanks,

Steve

• 9. Re: Why does this happen.  Page loads only to the left...

I'm not sure. I haven't seen it in the field for a while, so it may only be XP.

I'd say try it on a test machine and see if it helps.

1 2 3 Previous Next