3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2011 11:32 AM by Peter M

Symantec a/v Win32/Mangzamela.a backdoor

Does anyone know McAfee's signature or name equivalent for what Symantec calls the Win32/Mangzamela.a backdoor Trojan?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 09/02/11 7:49:11 EST PM
        • 1. Re: Symantec a/v Win32/Mangzamela.a backdoor
          Peter M

Moved this to Malware Discussion > Corporate User Assistance from Management Platform as probably a more apt spot.

The strange thing is I can't even find it in Symantec's database...do you have a link?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 09/02/11 8:00:03 EST PM
          • 2. Re: Symantec a/v Win32/Mangzamela.a backdoor
            Hayton

I don't know what the correct terminology is for this, but I suspect a possible leg-pull.

First, Symantec classify this kind of threat not with a "Win32/" prefix but with "W32/".

Second, the name "Mangzamela.a" is nowhere to be found in the Symantec A-Z of current threats and risks.

Third, a search for "Mangzamela" in Yahoo turns up just one result, and in Google just 8 results. All the links point to this community, and this poster.

I suggest that the poster return and explain himself, or give a correct identification for this supposed Trojan.

Edit - On the other hand, I find a whole host of entries for something called "dangdut mencari mangsa mela barby sexsy free Mp3 Download" and suchlike.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 11/02/11 17:12:55 GMT
            • 3. Re: Symantec a/v Win32/Mangzamela.a backdoor
              Peter M

Thanks, and I agree.  OP to explain this.