1 2 3 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2011 4:06 PM by Peter M

MS Virtual PC not compatible with McAfee Security Centre?

I have a new Dell pc running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, it came with a preinstalled 15 month McAfee Security Centre licence. All is up to date, I have checked my PC can run Virtual PC and XP mode, and started to download these from the MS site. Unfortunately Virtual PC will not install with McAfee Security Center installed. If I completely unistall McAfee I can install Virtual PC, but then can not resinsatll McAfee. I went through two on line chat sessions, following the clean up McAfee / resinstall route, but it will not install. Eventually, I uninstalled Virtual PC and was able to reinstall McAfee. Back to square one! I raised the issue to the next level and recived two phone calls from gentlemen who did not speak adequate English and were not really able to understand the issue. Eventually one suggested I should partition my drive and set up Virtual PC and XP Mode on the new drive. I have not tried this and have been advised from the MS forum that it probably is NOT the route to go. Surley the latest MS Windows 7 add-ons like Virtual PC and XP mode have been tested by McAfee to ensure they work together?? Anyone have any experience of this issue here - it appears to be wide spread that a virus security programme will prevent Virtual PC from installing. I don't really want to ditch McAfee and install MS Security Essentials just to get Virtual PC up and running. Help please.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 16/02/11 7:58:31 EST AM
        • 1. Re: MS Virtual PC not compatible with McAfee Security Centre
          Peter M

I have Virtual PC/XP Mode installed in both my Windows 7 Ultimate x64 boots (+ 1 in my Vista Ultimate x64) and it operates with McAfee installed in both the host and the VM with no problems.

I can't actually recall any problems installing it but I would imagine all you'd need to do would be to maybe disable VirusScan and Access Protection in order to proceed.

Probably only the latter.   Double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter

Click Navigation (top right)

Click General Settings & Alerts

Click Access Protection to open that section

Uncheck it and click Apply.

If you need to disable Virusscan proceed as follows:

Double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter

Click Virus and Spyware Protection

Click Real Time Protection

Click the Turn Off button and tell it for how long to stay that way.

• 2. Re: MS Virtual PC not compatible with McAfee Security Centre
            thecreator

philjwade wrote:

I have a new Dell pc running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, it came with a preinstalled 15 month McAfee Security Centre licence. All is up to date, I have checked my PC can run Virtual PC and XP mode, and started to download these from the MS site. Unfortunately Virtual PC will not install with McAfee Security Center installed. If I completely unistall McAfee I can install Virtual PC, but then can not resinsatll McAfee. I went through two on line chat sessions, following the clean up McAfee / resinstall route, but it will not install. Eventually, I uninstalled Virtual PC and was able to reinstall McAfee. Back to square one! I raised the issue to the next level and recived two phone calls from gentlemen who did not speak adequate English and were not really able to understand the issue. Eventually one suggested I should partition my drive and set up Virtual PC and XP Mode on the new drive. I have not tried this and have been advised from the MS forum that it probably is NOT the route to go. Surley the latest MS Windows 7 add-ons like Virtual PC and XP mode have been tested by McAfee to ensure they work together?? Anyone have any experience of this issue here - it appears to be wide spread that a virus security programme will prevent Virtual PC from installing. I don't really want to ditch McAfee and install MS Security Essentials just to get Virtual PC up and running. Help please.

Hi philjwade,

I had Virtual PC and XP Mode, installed before, without McAfee installed. But since I already have 4 copies of Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 3 installed on that same computer, I did not reinstall XP Mode.

To get Virtual PC and XP Mode installed in yours, is to simply use the Clean Install method.

Download the necessary files and save them to the Desktop or Briefcase.

Now simple use msconfig and configure it for a Clean install.

Click on Services tab. Check Hide all Microsoft Services. Disable the rest. Click on Startup. Disable All. Click Apply Click OK. Reboot the computer.

Go back to msconfig and dot Normal Startup. Click Apply. Click OK. Exit without restarting the computer.

Now install Virtual PC and XP Mode. If it calls for a reboot, in between, don't and continue to install.

• 3. Re: MS Virtual PC not compatible with McAfee Security Centre

Hi thecreator, I have actually tried the "clean install" method, several times, however when you go through the process to reboot and see the "reconfiguring Windows" message it gets to around 97% complete then, fails and reverts!!

However looking again at your version of the clean install process, I think it is slightly different to the way I tried this before, so OK, thanks I'll give it another go.

Message was edited by: philjwade - additional comments & thanks! on 10/02/11 07:33:45 CST
              • 4. Re: MS Virtual PC not compatible with McAfee Security Centre
                Peter M

This tutorial any help?  It may be that you are missing something:  http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8247-windows-xp-mode-install-setup.html

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 10/02/11 7:54:01 EST AM
                • 5. Re: MS Virtual PC not compatible with McAfee Security Centre

Hi Ex-Brit, not sure if your suggestion is any different in effect to the "clean install" suggested by thecreator i.e. you are disabling McAfee. I have tried switching off real time scan for "ever" to try to resolve this, but the reconfiguring Windows failed at 97% and reverted. I don't think I changed anything on the "access protection" maybe I'll take another look at that.

However, just to recap the issue, having taken the more drastic step to completely uninstall McAfee, I am able to install Virtual PC with no problem; unfortunately with Virtual PC on my PC, I can NOT then reinstall McAfee!! My conversations with the McAfee agents also took me down the road of reinstalling McAfee in "safe" mode; again the same failure after 97% of reconfiguring windows.

• 6. Re: MS Virtual PC not compatible with McAfee Security Centre

Thanks for the link. No matter what I have tried, other than when I removed McAfee completely, I can only get as far as step 5.H. - restarting the PC after running the Virtual PC update, then the reconfiguring Windows gets to 97%, fails and reverts with no update.

• 7. Re: MS Virtual PC not compatible with McAfee Security Centre
                      Peter M

I think your best bet is Technical Support Chat because I know that this shouldn't be so difficult.  I hope that it was a 32-bit XP Mode you installed?  Not sure but I vaguely remember reading something about that somewhere.

You could also post a question on that tutorial thread as they might have some clues.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 10/02/11 8:43:14 EST AM
                      • 8. Re: MS Virtual PC not compatible with McAfee Security Centre
                        Peter M

I should clarify my previous question.  It is the 64-bit VM you installed (there are 2) but only the 32-bit XP mode I trust?  XP Mode is just that ... it's a pseudo XP as it were, no key required.   I hope you aren't actually installing XP from an installation disk because there is no need of one?

Of course if it isn't XP you are installing in the VM you can disregard the last bit.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 10/02/11 8:55:37 EST AM
                        • 9. Re: MS Virtual PC not compatible with McAfee Security Centre

I followed the MS instructions which ask you to selct you OS type [Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit], so I assumed it would direct me to the correct downloads; you seem to be indicating I should be downloading the 32 bit XP Mode and Virtual PC??

1 2 3 Previous Next