1 2 3 Previous Next 26 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2011 9:53 AM by jguenrdc

[VSE 8.8] When will cached files be rescanned

Hi,

that's the question

Will cached files ever be rescanned with VirusScan Enterprise 8.8?

A cached file which has been altered - hopefully - will be rescanned on access...but what happens with unchanged files.

For example a new virus/malware/what ever is in the wild and perhaps cached files have been infected is there any chance that these files will be discovered?

Thanks for your answers

• 1. Re: [VSE 8.8] When will cached files be rescanned
          PraveenSoraganvi

After every DAT update, clean cache gets flushed and scanned again with newer DAT

• 2. Re: [VSE 8.8] When will cached files be rescanned

I hope that flushing the cache every day will not eat up the performance and acceptance gain

• 3. Re: [VSE 8.8] When will cached files be rescanned

oborgers wrote:

I hope that flushing the cache every day will not eat up the performance and acceptance gain

Well, I guess not. I have tested and used it enough and am quite happy with the performance of 8.8.

So, this is definitely going good without impacting my computers

Sameer

• 4. Re: [VSE 8.8] When will cached files be rescanned

So this means that the claimed performance improvements for On Demand scanning last for only a day.   The cache will be gone when we can every Tuesday.

This means the first opening of any file every morning will get a full scan.  It will not benefit from the prior scans

This can not be correct. 

• 5. Re: [VSE 8.8] When will cached files be rescanned
                  wwarren

The best answer to this topic/thread is - test it yourselves and prove what the performance gain is for your environment. Your test can/should cover DAT update occurring too.

The correct answer to the question "When will cached files be rescanned?" is "They will not be rescanned, since they are cached"

We will not be disclosing the details of our caching algorithm or inner workings used for performance optimization. That's intellectual property that even an NDA won't get you the details.

It is a fun topic. It's a remarkable achievement over prior versions. Feel free to play with it, benefit from it, but do not speculate that the benefit is limited to a DAT update taking place.

• 6. Re: [VSE 8.8] When will cached files be rescanned

Thank you.   I like this answer a whole lot better than the prior one.

It also seems more in line with what we are actually seeing.

• 7. Re: [VSE 8.8] When will cached files be rescanned

Scan caching has clear performance benefits - FACT

The cache is cleared after every DAT update - FACT

So, my first question is this, if DATs are updated every 24hrs then in order for the scan cache to be of any benefit wouldn't  a full system scan HAVE TO BE run daily - otherwise the scan cache will be empty?

Second question. In an office environment a full system scan can easily be scheduled to run overnight, but the same doesn't apply to notepads/laptops etc meaning they will always have an empty scan cache!

How can the scan cache EVER work on laptops/notepads? Surely any laptop running VSE8.8 will suffer performance degradation as a consequence of never populating the scan cache?

Message was edited by: james.serjeant on 23/02/11 10:06:44 CST
                      • 8. Re: [VSE 8.8] When will cached files be rescanned
                        joeleisenlipz

The page 52 of the product guide...

"NOTE: The scan file cache is flushed and all files are rescanned whenever, for example, the on-access scan configuration is changed, an EXTRA.DAT file is added, or when the cache is full."

Maybe I'm reading a little too much into it, but I've been thinking about this cache feature for weeks now. I really think that folks out there are failing to understand when this really would be helpful.

• OAS touches files all the time, repeatidly. Using a cache makes this process more efficient by eliminating redundant scanning. I am so happy with my experience, I am testing whether this feature actually eliminates the "performance-style" exclusions that I frequently encounter.
                        • ODS intentionally touches (almost) all files. My hunch would be that normal workstations were the basis for determining an appropriate size for the cache. Since most laptops have smaller disks than workstations, I think the cache would be large enough, regardless of how often a scan runs on a laptop. Indeed, without knowing the details, the size of the cache may actually vary based on disk size. Who knows? It's part of the secret sauce.
                        • Laptops always toss in wrinkles, but that's no excuse for not scheduling scans for them.

The point is VERY simple. If the cache has anything in it at all, then there is a benefit. If it's empty, than it's no worse than it was before we had caching.

• 9. Re: [VSE 8.8] When will cached files be rescanned
                          Quitch

I think you are mistaken, VSE has had caching for as long as I can remember, the change in 8.8 was the introduction of persistent caching i.e. the cache isn't flushed on a reboot.

1 2 3 Previous Next