1 2 Previous Next 11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2011 10:50 AM by peter_eepc

EEPC v.6 - Changing the Preboot language

DPE

Hi,

How do i change the language of the Preboot environment on my encrypted clients?

I have my windows locale set to Danish, but have US English Windows versions installed. The Preboot language defaults to Danish, but i would like to change it to default to US English. How is this done?

Can't seem to find any previous posts regarding this.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: EEPC v.6 - Changing the Preboot language

just use the pre-boot options and change it to English?

You can't pre-define it anywhere, the system will always default to the languge your operating system is set to. Once you change it though, it should stick.

• 2. Re: EEPC v.6 - Changing the Preboot language
            DPE

Thanks for your reply.

However, i cant quite follow what you're saying. I have an US English OS installed on my PC (Windows 7 32bit), and the pre-boot defaults to Danish. Can you explain this behaviour?

Yes i can change it myself, and yes it sticks, but since we have a lot of mixed nationalities working at my company, i'd like to make US English the default without people having to change it manually.

• 3. Re: EEPC v.6 - Changing the Preboot language

Your locale is set to Danish, so that's what it assumes you want to be using.

There's no way to break this behaviour - the system is trying to be helpful and make sure that the pre-boot language is the same as your chosen Windows language.

• 4. Re: EEPC v.6 - Changing the Preboot language

SafeBoot wrote:

Your locale is set to Danish, so that's what it assumes you want to be using.

There's no way to break this behaviour - the system is trying to be helpful and make sure that the pre-boot language is the same as your chosen Windows language.

That's bad. Too much help, without way of saying "no, thanks" is almost as bad as no help at all.

There should be a way to override default behavior (as it was in EEPC 5.x). Consider this as feature request.

• 5. Re: EEPC v.6 - Changing the Preboot language
                  DPE

I agree with Peter_eepc.

When we install an English OS, it's because we want our users working on an English infrastructure. If you must follow an OS setting, it should not be the locale setting, but the OS language.

At least provide us with an option to change this behaviour, and give us a way of doing a manual language assignment. As peter_eepc said, consider this a feature request.

Thanks.

• 6. Re: EEPC v.6 - Changing the Preboot language

Any MUI application will always display in the language of the users choice - that's the whole point of multi-language capibility, and, the expected behaviour of Windows applications. The whole way it works relies on detecting the users personal settings, and following them, but allowing the user the ability to make other choices if they so wish.

Your suggestion breaks all this established logic, but, if you want to submit it as a feature request, feel free - Just contact your platinum support person, I'm sure they will be happy to point you in the right direction.

• 7. Re: EEPC v.6 - Changing the Preboot language
                      DPE

I appreciate the logic. As an administrator I'm just annoyed that it doesn't work in the way most convienient for me.

Can you link me to a place with a more in dept explanation of how the pre-boot recieves it's locale information? I'm very curious about how this works, and as i cant avoid being questioned by my admin colleauges asto why we cant change the setting, i'd like some documentation other than "thats just the way it is". I cant seem to find any information on the process in the documentation pdf's.

• 8. Re: EEPC v.6 - Changing the Preboot language

it just reads it out of Windows, and there's no "setting" to change.

it follows much the same logic as v5 - http://simonhunt.wordpress.com/programming/localisation-in-mcafee-endpoint-encry ption-for-pcs-safeboot-device-encryption-for-pcs/

but, there's no ini file you can change in v6 - because of all the questions and confusion asked over the years we took the opportunity just to build everything into v6 out of the box. It cost so much time and effort to support the small people who wanted to tinker - people who wanted Chinese language plus arabic keyboard combinations etc, that it was just distracting from the big picture.

So, v6 is built in, simple, and works the way Microsoft told us applications should work - whatever the users Windows settings, follow them.

• 9. Re: EEPC v.6 - Changing the Preboot language

Clearly you missed this requirement. While in default operation it is helpful fo most, there are numerous situations where user community clearly asks for English pre-boot language, while keyboard layout is non-Enlish and users constantly switching Windows regional settings between English, French, Dutch, etc.... This was relatively easy to address in 5.x, but is not doable in 6.x.

1 2 Previous Next