9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2012 3:11 PM by sparkdragon

VSE 8.8 Policy Migration

I'm trying to use the epopolicymigration tool to duplicate my existing VSE 8.7 policies for VSE 8.8

I installed the extensions (VSE and reporting) and checked in the package into my ePO 4.5 lab server.

Then I doubleclicked the epopolicymigratio.exe as described in the documentation. It errored out saying that it was unable to connect to the ePO database. The error then told me to run it via command line and provide the SQL password as a switch.

Sounded easy enough so I tried it

C:\VSE880LML\ePOPolicyMigration.exe" /password="password"

it still comes back with the same error. I tried piping it out to a log file to get more info and it gave me this:

PolicyMigration::PolicyMigration()
      C:\DOCUME~1\MYUSE~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\2\VPM29.tmp\ePOPolicyMigration.cab
      Using SQL authentication: username:\!sqladmin_01
      OpenDatabase error: 80040E4D ?
      PolicyMigration::~PolicyMigration()

Obviously, it's grabbing the username from the ePO server and trying to connect to the SQL server. I've verified that both the username and password are valid and work.

Any thoughts? I'm really not sure where I'm going wrong.

• 1. Re: VSE 8.8 Policy Migration
          ashman

I've had exaclty the same problem in my test lab with one difference, I cannot login to the ePO 4.5 server anymore, the login screen shows numerous messages below the login box indicating that the EPO application cannot connect tothe SQL DB.

I'm not using the full blown SQL but the one that comes with the ePO 4.5.

• 2. Re: VSE 8.8 Policy Migration
            Laszlo G

You should try to log onto https://your_epo_Server:8443/core/config and have a look at this page to see if everything is OK. Then you just need to write again the password for ypur DB user, test connection and save. Have also a look to your e epo services and see if they are running

• 3. Re: VSE 8.8 Policy Migration
              Laszlo G

Are you using an SQL user within your ePO or is it a domain user?

You can try to launch C:\VSE880LML\ePOPolicyMigration.exe > log.txt and then have a look at the log to see if you can see anything else

• 4. Re: VSE 8.8 Policy Migration

The database account is a local SQL account on the SQL server. Since I don't provide the account to the tool, it seems to be able to grab the username from an ePO .INI file. Obviously, I'm passing the password using the password switch

I did pipe the information out to a log.txt and copied it in the orginal post.

That seems to be a generic login failed message based on a google search. But the account and password work fine when tested in ePO. I can also directly connect to SQL with the account using the same password.

• 5. Re: VSE 8.8 Policy Migration

Is SQL on a different sever to ePO?

Regards,

Ian

• 6. Re: VSE 8.8 Policy Migration
                    ashman

I've managed to get further with this issue with similar message on screen, and the account used by my epo to connect to SQL was a local account and it turned out the account was locked out in SQL.

This did not resolve the issue completely, somehow the port number used by ePO was different so I changed it back to the default 1443 and this works.

Now to go and try the migration again!

• 7. Re: VSE 8.8 Policy Migration
                      ashman

I had the same issue as stated before and I've resolved this now.

The issue was with the account used by the ePO to connect to the SQL server. This account was a local account setup in SQL and I found that the account was locked out in SQL. Unlocked the account and this resolved the issue.

A good test is to load up the epo core/config page test yuor account. There may also be an issue with the port number used to connect to SQL, for this you will need to do more checking on the port number used by SQL (SQL Server Configuration Manager TCP/IP settings).

• 8. Re: VSE 8.8 Policy Migration
                        sparkdragon

BUMP this for any more ideas or thoughts, as I run into the same issue.

ashman - Where did you go to "unlock" the account on the SQL server?

*EDIT

Got this to work after realizing that the AD account that I was using on the ePO server didn't have access to the SQL Database.  Even though the SQL account was correct, I had to use an AD account that had access to the SQL Database.

I hope this can help someone else down the road.

Message was edited by: sparkdragon on 2/17/12 2:36:45 PM CST

Message was edited by: sparkdragon on 2/17/12 2:36:53 PM CST
                        • 9. Re: VSE 8.8 Policy Migration
                          sparkdragon

After re-reading my above post, I wanted to clarify for future readers.

I was getting the error that the OP mentioned when I was logged into the server that hosts our ePO with an AD account that had insufficient rights to the SQL database.  It didn't seam to matter that I had provided a proper SQL account and password.  Once We logged back into the ePO server with and AD account that had access to the SQL database, we were successful in running the epopolicymigration.exe tool.

That was long winded, but I hope this is more clear.