8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2011 8:08 AM by danpotter

Disable macsearch.

Anyone know if it's possible to use the system name as the unique identifier instead of the mac address? Disable macsearch works for duplicates but now I'm dealing with triplicates+.

I am certain there are not two systems of the same name in an active directory environment.

• 1. Re: Disable macsearch.
          JoeBidgood

Strictly speaking ePO doesn't use either the mac address or the name as an identifier - it uses the unique ID (Agent GUID) created by the agent on each machine. The mac address is used as a backup check when a new GUID is presented, to allow ePO to work out if this is a "genuine" new machine or an existing one whose agent has been reinstalled. Disabling the mac search option will therefore give you duplicate entries if the agent is reinstalled on a machine.

Can I ask exactly what the problem is? What are you trying to achieve?

Regards -

Joe

• 2. Re: Disable macsearch.

two things

systems are replacing others and forcing some into the lost and found. Of the machines doing this, all agent guids are unique.

and

when the ad sync takes place an unmanaged system of the same name is placed into the tree and the managed system deleted.

• 3. Re: Disable macsearch.
              SCtbe

Hi,

You are probably looking for solution described in KB57987.

• 4. Re: Disable macsearch.
                joeleisenlipz

I would expect you to have a growing collection of GUIDs, and potentially some duplicate MAC addresses and/or system names. The clean-up for those is probably favorable to having systems overwriting the same record over and over.

I've seen this several times when Agent first check-in to ePO through VPN connections. Most of the Virtual Adapters I have looked at use the same MAC address for every user of the software. I know several versions of the CISCO software do this for certain.

Also, I would check the settings for your AD synchronization points. There is an option with three choices for handling duplicate records. To my knowledge the (Disabled) MAC Search doesn't have any bearing on the AD sync behavior.

• 5. Re: Disable macsearch.
                  JoeBidgood

I've seen this several times when Agent first check-in to ePO through VPN connections. Most of the Virtual Adapters I have looked at use the same MAC address for every user of the software. I know several versions of the CISCO software do this for certain.

ePO knows how to handle these - it just doesn't know all the VPN OUIs    Please see KB 52949 for details. In a nutshell this function effectively applies the disablemacsearch function only to MAC addresses starting with a particular byte sequence.

Also, I would check the settings for your AD synchronization points. There is an option with three choices for handling duplicate records. To my knowledge the (Disabled) MAC Search doesn't have any bearing on the AD sync behavior.

That's correct - it only applies to new connections from machines.

HTH -

Joe

• 6. Re: Disable macsearch.

No vpn in this instance. I use another epo server for workstations. These are all servers with static IP's. Looking at the audit log I see x computer deleted every time the sync occurs.

• 7. Re: Disable macsearch.
                      JoeBidgood

Okay, this would imply that the AD sync task is the culprit. How have you got the AD sync points configured? Once machines are brought in by the sync task, are you moving them elsewhere in the system tree?

Thanks -

Joe

• 8. Re: Disable macsearch.

yes, Move systems from their current System Tree location to the synchronized group and Delete the systems from the System Tree when they are removed from the syncronization point. This is where the other issue comes into play. If a machine replaces another in the system tree where it's not supposed to be then on the next sync it tries to move that system. I only suspect.... 

server A in domain A is located in system tree where it should be.

serverB in domainB moves to the system tree where A would be located and system A upon next check in gets placed in the lost and found.