1 2 Previous Next 10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2011 2:07 AM by Alien

labtop crash

Hi, I'm looking for help pls. My dell inspiron crashed while in my email. I think it is an virus but i'm not sure. When I start up now the initial start up screen aprears however when it moves to the next screen where where windows startsw to load up the screen is blank with a flashing underscore in the top left corner.. I tryed to check  the problem by going into the boot ment (F8), it tells me in the short/quick test that hard drive is ok and to check the media card. I had come to the conclusion at one stage that it was the hard drive but took out the hard drive and inserted it into an external hard drive case and downloaded the files from it. Now the external hard drive that I copied my files onto is coruped!!!!

Anyone got any idea's???

• 1. Re: laptop crash
          Peter M

Moved to Malware Discussion > Home User Assistance.

Can you boot the laptop into Safe Mode with Networking? (Usually done by tapping F8 repeatedly while booting up but not too sure with a Dell Inspiron) If so download the FREE version of THIS tool, update it and run a full scan, then let it remove anything it finds and reboot immediately if it asks.  Do all that in that mode.

Also once booted into normal mode scan that external drive too, making sure you do NOT click on any of its contents.   Disable autoplay for that drive if possible.

• 2. Re: laptop crash

Thank you very much for your reply, unfortunately I cannot get into Safe Mode, that option is not comming up for me. Tried rebooting using the boot cd's, no joy there either.

• 3. Re: laptop crash
              Peter M

I think given the problems with the laptop and the drive you downloaded stuff to, it might be time to enlist the help of your friendly local pc repair shop if you have one.

The alternative is McAfee's virus removal service which is going to cost money anyway.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: laptop crash

Thankyou 4 your help, will let u know how I get on.

• 5. Re: laptop crash
                  Peter M

Good luck.

• 6. Re: labtop crash

Hello. Try running your Memory Diagnostics Tool which should be included in your Inspiron's Recovery Partition. It could be a faulty or broken Hard Drive. Also take out your Hard Drive if the Diagnostics Tool gets you nowhere and gently shake it. If there is a rattling noise, it definitely is broken. If you have a warranty, you should be able to ask for your Hard Drive to be recovered (which I think costs more) or you can ask for a new Hard Drive. Once you get your new Hard Drive, send the old one back in the same box. Everything should be included. If enough time has passed, your new Hard Drive will be an upgrade of your old one. Just be sure to run that Diagnostics Tool. Good luck.

• 7. Re: laptop crash

Many thanks to all the replys and helpfull suggestions. I finally got to the bottom of the problem. It was a virus, I had to wipe the computer and reload again, seems to be going ok so far. Thanks again, brilliant forum.

• 8. Re: laptop crash
                        Peter M

That's too bad, it's happened to me on occasion.  Anyway, glad you are OK now.

• 9. Re: labtop crash
                          ConorD62

casper wrote:

Hi, I'm looking for help pls. My dell inspiron crashed while in my email. I think it is an virus but i'm not sure. When I start up now the initial start up screen aprears however when it moves to the next screen where where windows startsw to load up the screen is blank with a flashing underscore in the top left corner.. I tryed to check  the problem by going into the boot ment (F8), it tells me in the short/quick test that hard drive is ok and to check the media card. I had come to the conclusion at one stage that it was the hard drive but took out the hard drive and inserted it into an external hard drive case and downloaded the files from it. Now the external hard drive that I copied my files onto is coruped!!!!

Anyone got any idea's???

Hi,

I get the flashing underscore,

But I don't have a virus..

Thanks.

1 2 Previous Next