7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2011 3:15 AM by Peacekeeper

Black background on the warning screen.

All the warning screens have black background.  I can't see anything such as what is requesting online access.  Picture is attached.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Black background on the warning screen.
          Peacekeeper

This does not occur with other program popups?

• 2. Re: Black background on the warning screen.
            Peacekeeper

Adding some more thoughts

What Operating system and service pack

What browser if IE reset it to defaults

You are not by chance running Beta ie9 or another beta?

Are All Microsoft updates uptodate?

Ditto java updates

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Black background on the warning screen.

Hi,

Thanks for responding.  This also happens with Internet Explorer.  I just found out, it also happens with Turbo Tax software when it request to purchase additional service.  I recently installed IE 9 Beta, but the problem consisted prior to installing IE 9 Beta.  This problem is not found with Firefox.

I uninstalled all the java version and reinstalled the latest version.

My laptop is Dell Studio 1558 with Windows 7 x64 (Operating system is upto date). i5 Intel chip. 2.4Ghz, 6gb Ram.

This version of McAfee came with 18 months service. I don't know which version but a pic is attached.

Thanks,

Message was edited by: newyork2010 on 2/5/11 11:51:21 PM CST
              • 4. Re: Black background on the warning screen.
                Peacekeeper

RE version(probably 10.5) go to navigation and about the versions are shown there. Does not sound to be a mcafee issue more a setting in IE or your PC. As you said FF is fine so did you try resetting IE to defaults?

Whatever mcafee will not work with ie9 beta it is not supported as betas change all the time and Scanners can cause issues. Better to uninstall it and use the supplied version of Mcafee.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 7/02/11 6:34:30 AM
                • 5. Re: Black background on the warning screen.
                  exbrit

As Peacekeeper says IE9 Beta is not supported, uninstall it and you will automatically return to IE8, see https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1779 but you say the problem existed prior to installing that?

Once uninstalled, Call up IE8 and go to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and click Reset, Apply and OK

Close and reopen IE8 and then go to Tools/Manage Add-ons and re-enable any add-ons you need

It should work OK now unless you are mssing up to date Java, Adobe Flash & Shockwave players and Reader, and all Microsoft Updates both critical and non-critical.

If not I suggest you contact Technical Support Chat via the link under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 06/02/11 10:12:49 EST AM
                  • 6. Re: Black background on the warning screen.

Hi,

As suggested, I uninstalled IE 9 Beta and clicked on Reset from Advanced tab from options.  That seem to fix the problem.  I understand this might be too much but can you explain what was the problem?

Thanks to all answering on this post.

• 7. Re: Black background on the warning screen.
                      Peacekeeper

1st IE9 beta is not supported it had to be removed if you want to use Mcafee. this fairly standard with products as betas change regularly and AV products (some) misbehave as they do not find what they expect. For instance whebn you open Mcafee in IE9 (installed) you get a blank screen usually) was like that when IE8 was beta.

2nd the reset option sets IE to defaults something in your IE was out of whack this was indicated when you said Firefox was fine. Hope all Ok now