8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2011 10:08 AM by ajclements

Message Forwarding to the Outside

runcmd

A person in our organization has recently departed.  I have been tasked with figuring out a way to forward all internet inbound email for this recipient to a single external address.  To add to the complexity, this individual has multiple aliases on our side and all mail destined for those aliases need to be forwarded.  Although our internal Exchange mail server would have the ability to forward this person's mail, the problem is that internally generated messages are not to be forwarded.  Additionally, I'm assuming that their Active Directory account is going to have to remain active so that the person's mail doesn't fail an LDAP lookup.

I skimmed the manual but couldn't find much of anything on how IronMail could do something like this.  Is IronMail capable of doing something like this?  If so, how would I go about doing it and how will messages with multiple internal recipients (which include this person) be handled?  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Message Forwarding to the Outside

If the persons gone, why do anything, just delete their account in your directory and let the senders get a bounce back.

Otherwise if you need to you can create a dictionary with the entries of the aliases and set the action to log/drop or quarantine(play around with it).  Then under additional recipients, put in the external email address.

• 2. Re: Message Forwarding to the Outside
            runcmd

I contacted support and it is my understanding that this can be done using an Envelop Analysis rule, in conjunction with Special Recipient Handling (for messages with multiple internal recipients).  With that, I believe I have the information I need but I have not implemented it yet.

• 3. Re: Message Forwarding to the Outside

Just in case they didn't mention it, I would put the user's addresses in a group and create the envelope analysis rule to look for the recipient being that group.

• 4. Re: Message Forwarding to the Outside
                runcmd

Thanks for the response, Andy.  No, he didn't mention using a group.  Where would you create the group?

• 5. Re: Message Forwarding to the Outside

Groups can be created on Compliance --> Compliance Advanced --> Group Manager.  Click on Add New, name the group, put in a comma separated list of the user's addresses, and press Submit.

I would then create the rule on Compliance --> Envelope Analysis --> Manage Rules.  Click Add New, to start, then choose Monitored Field of Recipient, Type of Group, and choose the group name from the drop down showing "Select an existing group".  Action will be Forward Message, and Action Value is where you are redirecting the messages to.  Submit the rule, and when it is saved go to Compliance --> Envelope Analysis --> Apply Rules.  If you have a Global Inbound or Global Both rule, enable the new rule there, otherwise create a new apply rule for it.

I would also put the same list in the IntrusionDefender --> Mail Firewall --> Configure Mail Services --> SMTPI Servce --> Special Recipient Handling Address field (and enable the feature) as noted in your call with support.  Don't worry about the recomendation of a 24 address limit, while it is good to keep the list smaller, I have see systems with hundreds of entries not having too much of a problem.

• 6. Re: Message Forwarding to the Outside

One other note, if you are doing LDAP address validation, the addresses will need to stay in your directory if you are using real time lookups.

If you are doing synchronized lookups, having the user's addresses in the group will allow them to be accepted to the IronMail even if the address is no longer in the directory.  This can be both good and bad - any address in any group will be validated whether you want them to or not.

• 7. Re: Message Forwarding to the Outside

Andy - regarding this information you posted - "I would also put the same list in the IntrusionDefender --> Mail Firewall --> Configure Mail Services --> SMTPI Servce --> Special Recipient Handling Address field (and enable the feature) as noted in your call with support.  Don't worry about the recomendation of a 24 address limit, while it is good to keep the list smaller, I have see systems with hundreds of entries not having too much of a problem."

I am running 6.7.1 and cannot find the 'Special Recipient Handling Address' field you describe here.  Can you redirect me to its location and explain what this feature does.

Thanks.

• 8. Re: Message Forwarding to the Outside

It is located in the same place, they just changed the name (don't ask me why).  On 6.7.1 and earlier it is called Message Splitting.