Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
9880 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 14, 2013 9:30 AM by brentil RSS
brentil Apprentice 380 posts since
Oct 31, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 1, 2011 2:59 PM

VSE 8.8i Performance Tests & Results

We've been running VSE 8.8i on select machines since it was released and recently migrated all of our ePO controlled machines to use it.  Before doing so I performed performance tests similar to those I've done with VSE 8.5 & 8.7 in my other thread.

https://community.mcafee.com/message/167738

Since McAfee is claiming significant performance improvements I wanted to validate these.

https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/ 22000/PD22973/en_US/VSE%208.8%20-%20What%27s%20New.pdf

Testing was the same as with my last VSE 8.7 P3 vs P4 but with 8.7 P4 vs 8.8 instead.  Results are the average of multiple tests.  The values below show the % faster VSE 8.8 is over VSE 8.7 P4.

VSE 8.7i P4 vs VSE 8.8

VSE87P4_vs_VSE88.PNG

In terms of real numbers it breaks down as follows;

• Copy
    • VSE 8.7 P4 - 27 minutes
    • VSE 8.8 - 24 minutes
  • RAR
    • VSE 8.7 P4 - 36 minutes
    • VSE 8.8 - 33 minutes
  • unRAR
    • VSE 8.7 P4 - 18 minutes
    • VSE 8.8 - 20 minutes
  • Eclipse *
    • VSE 8.7 P4 - 10.5 seconds
    • VSE 8.8 - 9 seconds
  • Oracle SQL Developer *
    • VSE 8.7 P4 - 9.5 seconds
    • VSE 8.8 - 7 seconds
  • System Scan
    • VSE 8.7 P4 - 74 minutes
    • VSE 8.8 - 12 minutes (ignoring first system scan to build cache)

* - These results negate the initial scan VSE 8.8 requires to build the file list off of.  Comparisons of that information is below.

VSE vs Java

Probbaly the last frontier of anti-virus performance comes in relation to Java applications.  The nature of large numbers of in essence compressed files (jar files) being loaded at runtime every time results in an insane performance hit to most Java based applications.  Once they're loaded they typically behave better, but any time you intiailly load or it's cached information is lost results in massive performance hits.

I'm very glad to see that VSE 8.8 helps with this some.  It's still not perfect but the margin of difference is starting to close for the first time.

In the past VSE would cause a Java application to crawl to load over a period of minutes.  You can see below the Oracle SQL Developer for example would take 180 seconds 3 full minutes! to load.  After that as long as you didn't restart your machine or your VSE services cycle (like from a DAT update in some cases) you would then see a startup time in the 10 second range like other normal applications.  However once those services got cycled you were back to square one and long wait times.  It seems VSE 8.8 takes a bit longer for that very first run but subsequent runs take on average 50 seconds for the first start thanks to the persistent file caching of VSE 8.8.

VSE87P4_vs_VSE88_Java.PNG

• 1st - This is the first time the application is run after installing the application, no VSE cache exists for it.
  • Restart - This is the time an application takes after cycling the VSE services or rebooting the computer.
  • > 1st - This is the time it takes after the 1st or Restart time.

As a whole VSE 8.8 seems to be a very impressive release.  We've noticed increased responsiveness of applications of various types, slower machines are less impacted (especially after the first full system scan), Full scan jobs are more often to actually complete and can also be run more often due to their faster completion, decreased memory usage overall from idle usage to active scanning.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leith Tussing - University of Central Florida

• pato Apprentice 107 posts since
    Apr 1, 2010
    1. Feb 2, 2011 6:29 AM (in response to brentil)
    Re: VSE 8.8i Performance Tests & Results

Hi

Nice testing!

One question, could you also add the 'System Scan' time for the first scan after a reboot? Because I think this is what most people do (shutdown the PC over the night, make daily DAT updates).

Thanks,

pato

• sameer172006 Champion 410 posts since
    Nov 4, 2009
    3. Feb 3, 2011 4:47 PM (in response to brentil)
    Re: VSE 8.8i Performance Tests & Results

Good stuff Brentil.

Just out of curiosity, do you also do any kind of malware testing/detection testing to check the efficacy of the product ?

Sameer

• amjad Newcomer 18 posts since
    Feb 2, 2012
    6. Feb 27, 2012 5:58 AM (in response to brentil)
    Re: 5500 Engine Benchmarking

nice effort brentil System scan is taking larger scanning time so i guess it can be improved further.

7. Feb 28, 2012 9:28 PM (in response to brentil)

This is fantastic! Excellent job. Actual test and results from end users/supporters. Priceless in my opinion... seeing as many of the published reports from vendors are quite reputable.

• wayneb Newcomer 28 posts since
    Mar 4, 2013
    8. Mar 14, 2013 6:25 AM (in response to brentil)

brentil, very nice info.

What tools did you use to compare the data? i'm sure my boss will ask when i upgrade to 8.8 from 8.7i P4

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (4)