4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2011 12:59 PM by sameer172006

Internet Explorer

I cannot install Internet Explorer. I have had Dell tech. go in my system. They say I have a virus but McAfee doen't find one. Does this make sense?

• 1. Re: Internet Explorer
          Peter M

Moved to Malware Discussion > Home User Assistance for better attention.

We would need a lot more information.

1. What version of Internet Explorer do you currently have?  (Help/About)
          2. What version if Internet Explorer are you trying to install?
          3. What operating system and service pack is this?  (Right-click Computer (Vista/Win 7), My Computer (XP) and select Properties)
          4. How do you connect to the internet (cable, adsl, wireless, etc.)?
          5. Any popups or other strange behaviour to indicate a problem?

Try the steps in this link:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1294

If that doesn't help download, install, update (important) and run the FREE version of THIS software.

(The last line can all be achieved in 'Safe Mode with Networking' if this infection prevents it happening in regular mode.

Safe Mode with Networking can be reached by tapping F8 repeatedly while booting up and then selecting it from the ensuing menu, usually #2 oin the list.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 28/01/11 8:21:58 EST PM
          • 2. Re: Internet Explorer

I am trying to install IE 8. I have been connecting via Firefox on a wireless connection. Dell uninstalled IE and repeatedly tried to install 8 to no avail.

• 3. Re: Internet Explorer
              Peter M

Well I strongly suspect that the Dell technician didn't know what he/she was talking about because it's impossible to remove Internet Explorer altogether as it's part of Windows.   They may have removed something but it can't have been IE.

Can you please answer the rest of those questions?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 28/01/11 8:36:55 EST PM
              • 4. Re: Internet Explorer

DJJay,

You might want to take a look at this :-

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Tips-for-solving-problems-with-Inter net-Explorer

Just browse through that link and you will have a lot of info about IE.

But just a comment :- Why would you want to install IE? Its definitely not the best, fastest or the safest thing out there. Its just a personal suggestion. Give the chromes and firefoxes of the world a fair chance

Sameer