1 2 3 Previous Next 26 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2011 4:08 PM by exbrit

It'd be nice if..

ConorD62

We had a chance when we downloaded updates, like a set time.

Because my Scheduled scan runs, then the updates runs at the same time and it slows my computer down to a 265mb of ram system..

Thanks.

• 1. Re: It'd be nice if..

That’s not normal, may be a coincidence. Do you mean to say, it's happening every time when you run a schedule scan?

• 2. Re: It'd be nice if..
            ConorD62

Hi Aldrin,

Not sure when the Updates run, but my Scan usually starts at 5pm, I think that's the first time they've ran together, even though the update took a minute.

Would be nice if I could change it so it's before my scan, to make sure the DAT is updated.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: It'd be nice if..
              exbrit

This is something I've been meaning to bring up on our weekly conference calls with McAfee and now I will.  There have been a number of reports of this happening both in the regular forums and in beta so I think it's time the developers looked into stopping SecurityCenter from overlapping tasks, any tasks, as this can cause slow-downs in many machines, especially those with low resources to start with..

• 4. Re: It'd be nice if..
                ConorD62

Hi,

Thanks Peter. (I can call you that, right? )

I would hope that in the next version they implement a time changer for updates, as I would like to do them, before my scan.

Thanks.

• 5. Re: It'd be nice if..
                  exbrit

Of course, it's my name ...;-)

• 6. Re: It'd be nice if..

My opinion is that it is no coincidence.There has always been a problem with the timer.As people have been saying this all year.It is 2011.After a while, I just decided to live with it.I spent most of the day on the computer yesterday & still have problem recieving updates.I know these are 2 differant events but both have to do with timer.

• 7. Re: It'd be nice if..
                      exbrit

newjack wrote:

My opinion is that it is no coincidence.There has always been a problem with the timer.As people have been saying this all year.It is 2011.After a while, I just decided to live with it.I spent most of the day on the computer yesterday & still have problem recieving updates.I know these are 2 differant events but both have to do with timer.

I've made it a topic for our Monday Conference Call (4pm EST) but I think they are already aware of it.  A reminder wont hurt.

It's almost like that infamous 'Smart Timer' as they call it, has gone into reverse gear.  I'm suggesting that SecurityCenter be designed never to overlap tasks and to have an update scheduler.

By the way, you are aware that we can now update manually in two ways, one by right-clicking the taskbar icon and selecting 'Check for updates' which has always been there, and now by downloading DAT or SDAT files from http://www.mcafee.com/apps/downloads/security-updates/security-updates.aspx?regi on=us  (Change region for those outside the US)?

Newjack - you are one DAT ahead of me by the way.   ;-)

• 8. Re: It'd be nice if..
                        ConorD62

Hi,

I'm on 6239, .

I'm using Total Protection, does that affect me in any way?

Thanks.

• 9. Re: It'd be nice if..
                          exbrit

It shouldn't make a difference what suite you have.

Edit:  Update times can vary widely depending on where you are in the world.  It all depends on which server you are on and how busy they are.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 28/01/11 10:14:34 EST AM
                          1 2 3 Previous Next