5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2011 12:32 PM by samd

Would u guys recommend EPO 4.5 on this machine?

samd

I have a physical machine dual core with 4GB of RAM and plenty of disk space. I want to install epo 4.5 to manage about 50 pcs (desktops and servers). I installed epo 4.0 on another machine long ago but have since wiped it out so I am a bit familiar. I don't want to dedicate a virtual machine to epo but not quite sure if the physical server I have in mind will be ok. The physical server is also my WSUS (windows updates server) for those 50 machine and is also a log/report server for out firewall so it running multiple apache and postgres processes. In the past it ran Microsoft Virtual Server but has no VMs on it now and probably will never again. I've seen the memory get up to about 1.7 GB used so therefore EPO would have over 2GB to use.

For my environment is it a good idea to install epo on this machine? My other options are to use an existing Windows 2008 R2 server that is running Microsoft SCVMM on it.

Thanks beforehand for advice.

• 1. Re: Would u guys recommend EPO 4.5 on this machine?

Remeber you will also need a version of SQL server installed, unless you are planning to put the ePO database on another server.  Hopefully someone else can give you advice on whether the system you describe will handle everything.

Jay

• 2. Re: Would u guys recommend EPO 4.5 on this machine?
            samd

Yes I figure I will be installing SQL Express (2005 or 2008) on the same machine as the EPO processes. I mentioned the 50 or so PCs and the available memory with that in mind. Basically the question is will over 1G of available memory be enough for EPO and it's database if it will be managing 50 computers?

Message was edited by: samd on 1/24/11 5:01:29 PM EST
            • 3. Re: Would u guys recommend EPO 4.5 on this machine?
              smalldog

You can reference about bandwith and size on file attach

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Would u guys recommend EPO 4.5 on this machine?

In my current EPO 4.5 environment, I have windows 2003 R2 with dual Xeon E5130 (quad core) and  4GB memory managing almost 1000 workstation (LAN mostly) also installed MS-SQL 2005.

I am not worried regarding the processor size since the nature of EPO most consume is the memory. this is due to local MS-SQL consume so many memory resource than processor resource.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Would u guys recommend EPO 4.5 on this machine?
                  samd

Thanks so far guys. I guess it's tough to say as it's probably unlikely that many people just have 50 PCs they want to manage. The PDF I need to read through more but I am sorta just wondering what SQL Server Express say in this case and the processes are gonna take up memory wise. I think memory would be the only issue in this case. I don't wanna go through the process of setting up EPO on this server and it ends up the server only has 100MB free after everything is running. And the server is a bit old so can only take 4GB max and we got that long ago. But as mentioned it only uses 1.7GB currently. So actually I calculated wrong. Will EPO and the SQL Server Express instance it needs use more than 2GB of RAM as right now I have 2.3GB free.