1 2 Previous Next 10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2011 9:11 AM by zebulebu

ePO 4.0 - default dashboard

zebulebu

This software drives me insane. The Web interface is absolutely frickin hideous in comparison with the old-style fat client version of the ePO console in 3.6. I finally upgraded to v 4 last year after having no choice - and even now, six months later, I'm finding it unwieldy, difficult to use, slow and buggy. Seemingly once a week i come across an element of the design that makes no sense, or clearly doesn't work int he way it was intended to.

This week's frustration is the inability to set a default dashboard that is generated every time you log on. We use a single account in our organisation - and a single dashboard, so I don't need to do anything complicated, just ensure that every time someone opens the EPO WebUI and logs in using that account, they get our dashboard (which shows top detections, repository status, the system search dialog, DAT adoption, compliance summary and malware detection history).

ourdash.jpg

Yet every time anyone logs on they get a nasty blank grey screen saying 'unable to display this dashboard'.

logondash.jpg

To get our dash to display, they have to 'do something' in EPO (and this appears to be pretty much anything - e.g. clicking one of the menu items in the top then going back to dashboards, or clicking 'Options' and selecting one of the options (for instance 'Edit Dashboard Preferences') and cancelling it. Doing anything that involves moving from one element of the UI to another then back again causes our dashboard to be displayed correctly. Annoyingly, it DOESN'T work by clicking the 'refresh' icon.

I've gone through the dashboard settings and ensured that the only dashboard under 'Public Dashboards' is our dashboard, clicked on the 'Make Active' button in the bottom right hand corner when editing and set it as the default dashboard to use for new users (under 'Configuration'). The dashboard itself works perfectly well - it's just crummy UI design, or - if there is a setting somewhere that I'm not aware of - crummy documentation. Has anyone else encountered this? It sounds like a trivil thing - but it isn't - when you have someone in management who wants to view a report and you have to continually tell them to do something that makes no sense to get it to work for them they inevitably start asking questions. Questions that I don't want to have to waste my time explaining!

• 1. Re: ePO 4.0 - default dashboard

Don`t understand why you are using ePO 4.0 when ePO4.5  is the current, ePO 4.0 got various HotFixes and Service Packs, what level of Sp are you runnig?

• 2. Re: ePO 4.0 - default dashboard
            zebulebu

Because, in the real world, it isn't as simple as just upgrading to the latest and greatest version. In the real world, most organisations don't have the resources, budget or headcount necessary to justify a person who can spend days planning, justifying and rolling out upgrades to a system that wasn't broken in the first place just because of minor glitches. I have, at the last count, 36 different systems and infrastructure elements to manage. Crud like this should have been caught in the design phase - and if not there, then definitely at the QA stage.

Does anyone have any suggestions (other than 'waste another week of your life in an upgrade that gives you no additional functionality') that might help? If it literally can't be done and is a bug - then I'll live with it!

• 3. Re: ePO 4.0 - default dashboard

Sorry man, your real world is a little outdated ePO 4.0 was released on 28-Sep-07, so can you upgrade  to lastest patch and see wahat happend? in the mean time can you add ePO to local intranet in the IE settings?

• 4. Re: ePO 4.0 - default dashboard
                zebulebu

Windows XP was released on 25-Oct-01 - and is still used by 75% of businesses. Windows Server 2003 was released on 24-Apr-03 and still runs on 136 out of 153 of my Windows servers. I run a CMS that has been around since 1998 - and never falls over. What's your point?

And EPO is already in the intranet zone.

• 5. Re: ePO 4.0 - default dashboard

Windows XP is not a security management plataform , ePO yes , my point is that the security must be upgraded , or you never Service Pack XPs?? You never Update your Y3K?? The security MUST be updated / Upgraded. ePO 4.5 is not just a few enhacements is much more.

Think that ePO 4.0 without patches was from IE 6.0 era and you are not using IE 6.0 ... please run latest patch from ePO 4.0  or stay in past.

• 6. Re: ePO 4.0 - default dashboard
                    zebulebu

Utter nonsense. Operating Systems are patched against security vulnerabilities. There are (as far as I'm aware) zero security vulnerabilities in any version of ePO. How can you possibly draw a correlation between patching/upgrading something because it has security flaws in it (perfectly legitimate) and upgrading something that has no security flaws in it is baffling. Look - I'm very happy that you manage to find the time, or have a job that affords you the time to upgrade software because it's the newest version. When I get virtualised and can spin off five clones of myself, I'm sure I'll set one of them aside to look after ePO for me on a full-time basis. Until then, I'll continue to be peeved by companies who see their userbase as a free beta-test resource, and whose attitude to shabbily-written, poorly-UATed code is 'upgrade to the newest version'.

• 7. Re: ePO 4.0 - default dashboard
                      tonyb99

Thats not very fair to say as he is running epo 4 patch 7 already the build number is on the screen grab.

On the other hand there were lots of GUI issues that were resolved in epo 4.5 and I find it a lot easier and quicker to use than epo 4.0, although I will give you that for intensive bread and butter stuff epo 4.x may take longer the ability to automate lots of stuff negates a lot of what you needed to do in epo 3.6.x anyway.

Assuming you have backed up and have no DB issues the upgrade is pretty quick and you get to keep the standard agents and software you were using in epo 4.0 (apart from RSD sensors)

• 8. Re: ePO 4.0 - default dashboard

ya

Message was edited by: Troglobyte on 1/24/11 9:09:50 AM CST
                        • 9. Re: ePO 4.0 - default dashboard
                          zebulebu

Cheers Tony - I guess I'll put up with it until I can find some time to upgrade. I kind of suspected that there wouldn't be an answer - it just seems to me to be such a simple thing that would have found it's way onto the first round of bug-fixing via UAT. I work for a technology company - if our developers churned this out to market they'd be sacked!

1 2 Previous Next