0 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2009 9:32 AM by HarryWaldron

Dating Services SPAM - phishing attacks and other dangers

SPAM email should always be deleted without opening it or any accompanying attachments. Daily, I receive numerous copies of dating services and other SPAM in my personal email. Some key dangers include tricking users to visit malicious websites or to reveal credit card or personal information :eek:

Trend Labs shares some dangers in a good awareness article below:

Dating Services SPAM - phishing attacks and other dangers
      http://blog.trendmicro.com/deceitful-advertisement-thru-dating-spam/

QUOTE: Today we have noticed an increase in the amount of dating spam mails containing phrases such as:

I’m emailing you because I like you
      wanted to let you know about my profile
      you have been invited to join

The link in the spam points to an adult-dating web page, as well as a profile on the right corner of the screen with a huge clickable ad that says, CLICK HERE TO CHAT FOR FREE.

Following the link opens a page where the visitor is asked to register by providing an email address and password. Afterward the visitor’s browser opens a new site where he/she is prompted to create a preferred chat handle (username). Users tempted to correctly fill up the forms from the shown web pages provide a free service to the cybercriminals as they reveal their valid email addresses, passwords, and credit card information.