6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2011 4:43 PM by mjmurra

VSE 8.8 AntiSpyware?

Hello to all, We currently have 8.7 VSE deployed to all the workstations where I work.  I am a little upset as i have just ordered a 100 licensed copies of the antispyware two days ago.  If i understand it was just a module that would be built into 8.7.  Now that i just got the email yesterday stating 8.8 is coming out and has the antispyware built in.  I dont understand this, should i just cancel my order?  Did I just waste a bunch of money on this or what?  What is the difference between what i have ordered and the new VSE 8.8.

Message was edited by: KTM200 on 1/21/11 7:56:08 AM CST
        • 1. Re: VSE 8.8 AntiSpyware?

I know this is going to sound unhelpful, but you will need to contact your supplier and/or McAfee to sort this out.

No matter what anyone says on here it will be down to the legalities on the order and goodwill of the supplier and McAfee etc

I personally would want my money back though.

See below striaight from the McAfee Documentation for 8.8

=======================================================================

What is new

This release includes the following new features:

• Enhanced performance.

• Allows ePolicy Orchestrator 4.5 and 4.6 to manage your VirusScan Enterprise systems.

• A new ScriptScan URL exclusion feature allows you to configure exclusions instead of manually

editing the registry.

McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 Product Guide

• The AntiSpyware Enterprise Module has been fully integrated into the VirusScan Enterprise

8.8 software.

• Support for Outlook 2010 email scanning.

• Support for Lotus Notes 8.0x through 8.5.1 email scanning.

======================================================================

Regards,

Ian

• 2. Re: VSE 8.8 AntiSpyware?

KTM,

I would suggest you to first analyze what your network consists of. If you are going to go ahead with 8.8 all over the network, then by all means you can request a refund however, if you would need to continue with 8.7i, then its money well spent because the antispyware component has been integrated only with 8.8 and all the previous versions still dont have it integrated with them.

So, all in all I would say, only go for refund if you are upgrading to 8.8 through out the network or else just keep it. Moreover, its a perpetual license good for life. Isnt it ?

Thank you

Sameer

• 3. Re: VSE 8.8 AntiSpyware?

perpetual isn't for life from my understanding, i still have to renew the maintenance just for the spyware part to continue receiving updates.  Maybe i am wrong but regardless, i think I will end up cancelling my order though.  They should pro rate all their customers who ordered this within a year to be honest.

Message was edited by: KTM200 on 1/21/11 11:25:08 AM CST
              • 4. Re: VSE 8.8 AntiSpyware?

Well, all I can tell you is that a perpetual license gets you DATABASE DEFINITION updates for the life of the product. You need to renew to get SUPPORT on the software if you encounter any issues. But as long as you are okay without the McAfee support, a perpetual license will get you the updates for the life of the product.

Sameer

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: VSE 8.8 AntiSpyware?
                  wwarren

I can add comment for the license type and how it affects the product.

The options are 1 year, 2 year, and perpetual.

On a silent install the default is accepted, which is 1 year.

Whatever option you choose has no functional impact on the product whatsoever. Updates will continue no matter the license type, no matter if the product itself is EOL'd. The only thing that would stop updates is if McAfee changed the backend to deprecate the signatures used by that product (like we did with VSE 8.0i).

• 6. Re: VSE 8.8 AntiSpyware?

sameer172006 wrote:

Well, all I can tell you is that a perpetual license gets you DATABASE DEFINITION updates for the life of the product. You need to renew to get SUPPORT on the software if you encounter any issues. But as long as you are okay without the McAfee support, a perpetual license will get you the updates for the life of the product.

Sameer

Unless the licence has changed again, once you are out of support you are not entitled (legally - in practice things are different) to get updates of Virus signatures etc.

Could be a sticking point legally. Something for people to check with their contracts for VSE.